Confront your fears........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davehateshills

As my name may suggest hills are not on the top of my Christmas card list however I have learnt that living where I do I have little choice but to ride up them if I want to go anywhere interesting so........

What do you do if you have a fear? Confront it head on, well that was the idea that came to me in a mad moment of insanity. The plot was now hatched and it was for me the hill hater to climb the longest continuous gradient in England!

Cragg%2520Vale.JPG

http://app.strava.com/rides/22485638

So, yes I did it and to be honest it wasn't that bad, I just picked a low gear and took my time. I will be asking the mods to change my name soon if this carries on! :biggrin:

Herr-B

Davestillhateshillsbutwillcycleupthemnonetheless ?

GrasB

Veteran
Am I missing something?... That's what 3.35% for 9km.

Maybe I'm getting too used to Alpine climbing but that doesn't seem that bad...

So Dave when are you changing your nickname to 'DaveLOVEShills' :wub:

GrasB

Veteran
Cragg Vale is the longest continuous climb in the UK but the gradient is not at all severe.
I think it may be the same thing we get with Chapel Hill between Haslingfield & Barrington, it's not much of a challenge but because it's one of the few gradients that's signposted with a gradient around here people treat it like an incline worthy of attempts by cycling gods.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Couldn't comment on the difficulty of Cragg Vale as I have never done it. But on paper it seems pretty easy.

I want to give this climb a shot though. Maybe ColinJ can use this climb as part of one of his forum ride routes once he is back on his feet!

OP
OP
Davehateshills

Davehateshills

I think it may be the same thing we get with Chapel Hill between Haslingfield & Barrington, it's not much of a challenge but because it's one of the few gradients that's signposted with a gradient around here people treat it like an incline worthy of attempts by cycling gods.

Well a cycling God I am certainly not! I am simply a novice who is trying to up his fitness and get rid of phobia of hills. The climb was long, it wasn't a 20% ball breaker but it was a challenge.... for me.

GrasB

Veteran
Well a cycling God I am certainly not! I am simply a novice who is trying to up his fitness and get rid of phobia of hills. The climb was long, it wasn't a 20% ball breaker but it was a challenge.... for me.
I'm guessing more of a phycological that physical challenge? Anyway well done for facing your nemesis & giving it the bird :smile:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I don't understand the %ages way of referring to gradient. The old 1 in 3 was easy enough. One unit up for three along, unless I've misunderstood that but the % thing I do not get. Can somebody explain it. For instance what would 1 in 3 be in percent?

byegad

Legendary Member
Limber Hill just outside Glaisdale in the NYM is 1 in 3. Not too long but at that gradient if it went on for long you'd be passed by aircraft near the top.

byegad

Legendary Member
I don't understand the %ages way of referring to gradient. The old 1 in 3 was easy enough. One unit up for three along, unless I've misunderstood that but the % thing I do not get. Can somebody explain it. For instance what would 1 in 3 be in percent?
33%

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Longest continuos gradient I've done (so far) is Mt.Hamilton in California, it's 20miles long at 6% avg, max 8%.Total ascent is 4300ft. Not hard at all, but quite energy sapping. Gonna do the Ventoux next yr, which should be more of a challenge.

but it was a challenge.... for me.
+1. I did a couple of weeks ago on my tod as part of THIS ride.

I hadn't recce'd the route either TBH so it came as quite a surprise I can tell you :eek:

I was amazed to get to the top and see that reservoir, not sure why but it wasn't what I expected to see after a climb like that.

Once it opened up it reminded me a lot of aspects of the Cat & Fiddle Challenge route.

I'll be doing it again this Sunday, (weather permitting :whistle:) as part of this years Cat & Fiddle training.

Well done Dave, I feel your pain Pal, others might consider it a mere bump, but it was feckin' hill and half in my book :thumbsup:

Top Bottom