Confused about headset star nut/cap! I must be going senile!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good afternoon all

My very good LBS has just replaced my headset but they could not use the new star nut & cap and used the old one - which looks a little tatty!

I have a handlebar stem that has to use a shim to make it fit the 1 inch steerer/forks. So, the headset, of course, has to be 1 inch. The cap of the new headset does not fit the top of the handlebar stem - it is a little too small - hence the reason they just used the old one! They told me that I could easily buy one online for just a few quid. It is not something they usually stock. Come to think of it all I am replacing is the cap and bolt!

So, it is just a question of me buying a 1 1/8'' star nut & cap and just fitting that? Come to think of it all I am replacing is the cap and bolt! I did not want to ask, while in my LBS, what is very likely such an obvious question and answer for fear of being laughed out of the shop!

Feel free to laugh at me here of course! xx(

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
bernieUK said:
I did not want to ask, while in my LBS, what is very likely such an obvious question and answer for fear of being laughed out of the shop!

Feel free to laugh at me here of course! :biggrin:

I don't know anything about these new fangled head sets :sad:. I'm still using the older technology :biggrin:. But I wouldn't have been afraid to ask at the LBS :smile:
So why were you :wacko: They do get sillier questions all the time :wacko:

OP
OP
bernieUK

bernieUK

Veteran
twentysix by twentyfive said:
I don't know anything about these new fangled head sets :sad:. I'm still using the older technology :biggrin:. But I wouldn't have been afraid to ask at the LBS :smile:
So why were you :wacko: They do get sillier questions all the time :biggrin:

My local bike shop is pretty good and they always make time for their customers. The mechanic, who fitted the headset, explained as to why the old cap had to be used. When he started going on about 1 inch steerers, bearings, overtightening this and that, what grease he used etc - I had no idea what he was on about. It was too much for my ageing brain to take in. So, rather than appear a total halfwit I just said "Right oh cheers mate" and slinked off :wacko:

I think all I need is just the top cap the more I think about it. They are about 4 quid all in.

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
Yes you are just replacing the cap - if the star nut is in reasonable condition best leave it there. When fitting just unscrew the bolt to the star nut and replace. Once the headset bolts are tight the star nut / bolt / cap don't do anything so it's a half minute job.

Top Bottom