Confused about weight loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darkstar

lukesdad said:
You dont really want to be doing interval sessions to lose weight.
Why not? What do you base that information on?

Mixing bursts of high intensity work with low intensity periods of recovery, you're overloading both the aerobic and anaerobic systems at the same time, getting the benefits of both aspects of training simultaneously.

You can get a full workout in under an hour.

darkstar

lukesdad said:
You dont really want to be doing interval sessions to lose weight.

Mixing bursts of high intensity work with low intensity periods of recovery, you're overloading both the aerobic and anaerobic systems at the same time, getting the benefits of both aspects of training simultaneously.

Garz

Squat Member
To build up base fitness get loads of mileage in. To burn fat do long rides at low-ish intensity, contrary to what some (people) say push with interval and high intensity; it's more for going up to the next level or improving fitness which in my opinion is not targeting just 'burning fat'.

You can mix this up but only when you have done the donkey work and beginning to start sticking at a weight.

Garz

Squat Member
To build up base fitness get loads of mileage in. To burn fat do long rides at low-ish intensity, contrary to what some (people) say push with interval and high intensity; it's more for going up to the next level or improving fitness which in my opinion is not targeting just 'burning fat'.

You can mix this up but only when you have done the donkey work and beginning to start sticking at a weight.

AlanW

Guru
mcb2080 said:
Thanks AlanW, you aren't anywhere near Glasgow by any chance?

I would like someone like you to push me as this is what I need.

I will keep in mind what you say when I get back out on the road and will post the results once the jelly feeling has passed:biggrin:

Sadly not, sorry!

But listen, once upon a time when I was driving HGVs full time and pre cycling days my weight soared to a whopping 15 1/2 stone, and at 5' 9" that's not a pretty sight!!

Although to be fair, I was always on the 'large' side even when I was at school. :thumbsup:

But don't ask me what happened, or even why, but I decided that enough was enough and the weight just had to go. I started jogging, which progressed to running, which progressed to cycling.

I lost 3 1/2 stone in around 12 months, and I will admit now that I went to far and looking back at some photos I looked really ill.

The key is to remain focused and set small goals. Little and often is the key to success.

You can do it, and trust me, it will be worth the effort.

AlanW

Guru
mcb2080 said:
Thanks AlanW, you aren't anywhere near Glasgow by any chance?

I would like someone like you to push me as this is what I need.

I will keep in mind what you say when I get back out on the road and will post the results once the jelly feeling has passed:biggrin:

Sadly not, sorry!

But listen, once upon a time when I was driving HGVs full time and pre cycling days my weight soared to a whopping 15 1/2 stone, and at 5' 9" that's not a pretty sight!!

Although to be fair, I was always on the 'large' side even when I was at school. :biggrin:

But don't ask me what happened, or even why, but I decided that enough was enough and the weight just had to go. I started jogging, which progressed to running, which progressed to cycling.

I lost 3 1/2 stone in around 12 months, and I will admit now that I went to far and looking back at some photos I looked really ill.

The key is to remain focused and set small goals. Little and often is the key to success.

You can do it, and trust me, it will be worth the effort.

AlanW

Guru
Garz said:

Exactly!

As the saying goes, "You can build a house on mud, but how long will it stay there for? But build a house on a solid foundation and it will stay there forever".

AlanW

Guru
Garz said:

Exactly!

As the saying goes, "You can build a house on mud, but how long will it stay there for? But build a house on a solid foundation and it will stay there forever".

Garz

Squat Member
AlanW said:
once upon a time when I was driving HGVs full time and pre cycling days my weight soared to a whopping 15 1/2 stone, and at 5' 9" that's not a pretty sight!!

Nice change there Alan, a great achievement that!

How did you tangent off and become a cycle coach then mate?

Garz

Squat Member
AlanW said:
once upon a time when I was driving HGVs full time and pre cycling days my weight soared to a whopping 15 1/2 stone, and at 5' 9" that's not a pretty sight!!

Nice change there Alan, a great achievement that!

How did you tangent off and become a cycle coach then mate?

lukesdad

darkstar said:

Where do you want me start ? Firstly If you are only doing an hour session you will only be burning either your last meal or your glycogen level not fat reserve.

Secondly; " overloading anerobicly as you put it will only benefit your anerobic threshold. Overloading your aerobic system will put you into your anerobic system Re; above.

As I originally said prolonged efforts in an aerobic zone will be more beneficial as an aid to weight loss.

I think you are a little confused as to the benefits of training in a particular zone will bring.

lukesdad

darkstar said:

Where do you want me start ? Firstly If you are only doing an hour session you will only be burning either your last meal or your glycogen level not fat reserve.

Secondly; " overloading anerobicly as you put it will only benefit your anerobic threshold. Overloading your aerobic system will put you into your anerobic system Re; above.

As I originally said prolonged efforts in an aerobic zone will be more beneficial as an aid to weight loss.

I think you are a little confused as to the benefits of training in a particular zone will bring.

jimboalee

You don't have to do this.

Since 1st Jan, I've lost 7.5lb.

I have been riding to work 28 miles per day in this freezing weather wearing the minimum to avoid frostbite.
More calories lost through windchill and clothing conductivity than the cycling.

I eat 25% of the calories burned, mainly in Protein after the rides and NOTHING before the rides.

I've been in the gym too.

I do three x 20 minute 'hills' sessions.
I am 50 and this morning had my HR at 181 and didn't feel any burn.
G knows where my max is?

The gym bike reckoned I burned 750 kCals total. That's not enough to even consider replacing. What I did was cook some steak mince with a pinch of chilli in it.

Todays session culminated at 425 watts, level 21 'hills' session max. the previous session was level 20 and I was sore a bit afterwards.
No soreness today.

Slimeguide fat% calipers say I've reduced 3% since 1st Jan.
That only equates to 5lb fat loss, so I guess the other 2.5lb is water.

All in all, I feel a lot better for it and aim to get to the gym again tmrw afternoon for another blast.:thumbsup:

jimboalee

You don't have to do this.

Since 1st Jan, I've lost 7.5lb.

I have been riding to work 28 miles per day in this freezing weather wearing the minimum to avoid frostbite.
More calories lost through windchill and clothing conductivity than the cycling.

I eat 25% of the calories burned, mainly in Protein after the rides and NOTHING before the rides.

I've been in the gym too.

I do three x 20 minute 'hills' sessions.
I am 50 and this morning had my HR at 181 and didn't feel any burn.
G knows where my max is?

The gym bike reckoned I burned 750 kCals total. That's not enough to even consider replacing. What I did was cook some steak mince with a pinch of chilli in it.

Todays session culminated at 425 watts, level 21 'hills' session max. the previous session was level 20 and I was sore a bit afterwards.
No soreness today.

Slimeguide fat% calipers say I've reduced 3% since 1st Jan.
That only equates to 5lb fat loss, so I guess the other 2.5lb is water.

All in all, I feel a lot better for it and aim to get to the gym again tmrw afternoon for another blast.;)

lukesdad

Ahhh Jimbo half a month younger than me.I thought you were ancient :thumbsup: Happy birthday. What are you doing in the gym you old softie:biggrin:

Top Bottom