confused of cardiff(ish)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nebapneb

ok, laugh all you want but here is my tale of woe

wavy line wavy line

i got a giant city 3.0 crs on the cycle2work scheme and was ok for about 6wks then i got a flat on the way into work a few weeks ago

so i bought a 2nd pump from poundland at lunch as i'd left mine at home, then got thrown by the presta valve(used to the old car type!) gave up and somehow made it back the 12miles on a 3/4 inflated tyre(taking an extra hour 'cos i was riding even slower than normal) xx(

got home and realised that my no1 pump(and the others i borrowed(and replaced) in the cycle racks at work) could swap around the head to work on both valves! ;)

so i pumped up tube, then lost the locking nut when i took off the pump(somewhere on the garage floor - spiders probably eaten it by now though!) and i thought sod it! i'll get a replacement tube & use that till i can find the nut etc :tongue:

wavy line wavy line

but i cannot get my head around what size inner tube i need for my bike.
the wheel states its a 37-622 700*35c 28*1 5/8*1 38 but when i look on places like wiggle or wheelies or halfords FFS i can't work out which inner i should be looking for :wacko:

can someone please help me as i want to go out on the bike this weekend and into work next week - not been a problem these past few weeks as i've just had the snip and stayed well away from saddles(but not small children with foam swords - but thats a tale for another day, when i stop wincing!) :eek:

i'll go back and sit in the corner with the rest of the dunces
it wasn't this difficult when i had me grifter back in the 80's :sad:

I am Spartacus

Über Member
The following. find yourself a reputable bike shop and ask for advice... if it is reputable then they will give you good advice... and supply the correct stuff
Buy a bike repair manual off Amazon and read thru it whilst you recuperate.
You will thus start the slow slow process of understanding how bikes work which most of us have gone thru.

Having that wheel info on a slip of paper is a good start however..!

OP
OP
N

nebapneb

I am Spartacus said:
The following. find yourself a reputable bike shop and ask for advice... if it is reputable then they will give you good advice... and supply the correct stuff
Buy a bike repair manual off Amazon and read thru it whilst you recuperate.
You will thus start the slow slow process of understanding how bikes work which most of us have gone thru.

Having that wheel info on a slip of paper is a good start however..!

i'll square that away sharpish methinks

was going to take the bike in for its first service next week(theres a couple of LBS near me in pontypridd & taffs well) but wanted to ride it in instead of rocking up in the car & taking it out of the boot

firing up the amazon webpage as i type this, any recommendations?

i've checked the manual i got with the bike but all it quotes is rim (Matrix 750 700c) and tyre (Kenda 700x35mm puncture resistant) sizes, curses!

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Dont get sidetracked by buying anything by William Fotheringham 'put me back on my bike' .....etc etc.. it gets addictive

Actually I think Cycling + are publishing some of their Workshop pages as Total Bike Repair and maintenance

OP
OP
N

nebapneb

new tube got'ed
it helps actually taking off tyre & checking if tube has any markings on it
doh!

one quick trip to the LBS and a new raleigh 700x35/43c for £4.99
and my new panniers and lights turned up from wiggle this morning too
so it'll be back to my 13mile commute tommorow morning then =)

yay!

Top Bottom