Conifer planting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mr. Cow

Mr. Cow

Über Member
Thanks for all the responses, some really good suggestions. I've decided to not bother with conifers after reading all this - sounds like I'd be causing myself a hole heap of problems with them in future. Instead, I'll erring to something more native like holly perhaps? These seem good for security but not sure if they'll be dense enough? At least the birds will like them during the winter :smile:

Is it OK to cover hedge soil beds with decorative slate? As mentioned this is to reduce weeds coming up but also to hopefully discourage cats using them as a toilet. Do hedges need periodic mulching as this would mean removing the slate..?

Do hedges need periodic mulching as this would mean removing the slate..?
I'm sure they would appreciate a mulch - how much depends on your soil and the preparation you do prior to planting - but it's not essential as long as you've prepared well prior to planting - a foliar feed of seaweed solution or something else appropriate would be of benefit. Mind you any topping - even a stone/slate one - will degrade and shift over time; a garden - all of it, even the stone bits - is an organic, living thing so you mustn't expect the slate to stay looking the same year after year unless it's on concrete or something! The big problem with something like a slate covering, as I see it, is that underplanting of bulbs, shade-loving plants and the like is made difficult or impossible.
Holly grows slowly but that does minimise the work involved in yearly maintenance, and you can get some pretty variegated ones too which, if interspersed with 'normal' ones, can 'lift' a plain expanse of greenness. Just don't be fooled by some of the variegated's names - you need a female holly to berry, and some of the varietals have male names but are female plants, and vice versa!

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
If you're wanting prickly plants, look at pyracantha (birds love the berries especially red ones) or berberis (super spring colour). Both make a very dense hedge and can cope with and any amount of pruning. Osmanthus is very similar to holly with some lovely variegated varieties.
Personally I think slate is a waste of money, the shrubs above will become so dense that even cats can't get through. Whilst they're growing plant anything else to cover the bare soil, which is what attracts the cats.

Top Bottom