Connecting chain issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dilby

Hi all -

I'm replacing a chain on my bike and trying to connect it with a chain tool. However every time I try to push the pin through it just bends the link it is meant to go through. I've attached an image to show what I mean - the chain is from wilko which is perhaps my first mistake.

Only idea I have is to get a little dremel tool an grind down the tip of the pin so it's tapered, so it acts as a kind of initial guide into the hole, but I'm still lost as to what other people do, and also worried that it then won't be a snug fit.

Attachments

• IMG_5187.JPG
    IMG_5187.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 49

Sharky

Guru
What does the tool look like and where do you position the link when working on it?

gbb

Legendary Member
It's not like the cheaper shimano quick links where you actually bend the chain in your hands and that effectively makes one side of the quick link shorter....and the pins just line up correctly then. Once in, release the chain and it locks...sorry, difficult to explain, very easy to show.

OP
OP
D

dilby

Yeah the last time I bought a chain from there it had quick links - this time it's just got the pin. Problem with quick links is that I've shortened it to a wide and a narrow link now. As you can see from photo whenever I try to push pin through it's bending the link into the cavity on the other side, or just the empty space, no matter which groove in the chain tool I put it in

Attachments

• IMG_5191.JPG
    IMG_5191.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 47
What User9609 said. Also, show us a picture of the chain from the side on. I want to see what type of chain that is. There are three types of pins and only one is reusable.

Tim Hall

I suspect you may be using the wrong part of the tool - there's a bit for loosening tight links and a bit for splitting & joining. You want the latter. It's where the lower plate (the one you bent) sits on an "anvil, so it doesn't bend. And get it lined up. Picture of the tool will be useful.

OP
OP
D

dilby

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went down to the cycle shop and grabbed a quick link connector, but it's too wide to fit through the derailer! Where am I going wrong?

Tim's right. Your first attempts were with the wrong part of the tool, hence it's broken-off tabs in the middle. That way there's no support for the back plate and it just bends open.

Sharky

Guru
What you are doing looks right. Can you push the rivet back out again (tiny bit) so it's flush with the link and try again. Apply a bit of pressure to the link so it's held down against the tool. You could try and take two links out and try re-joining. The chain will be on the short side, but should be ok if you avoid the big sprockets and will get you mobile again until you buy another chain.

Good luck

U

User6179

Yeah the last time I bought a chain from there it had quick links - this time it's just got the pin. Problem with quick links is that I've shortened it to a wide and a narrow link now. As you can see from photo whenever I try to push pin through it's bending the link into the cavity on the other side, or just the empty space, no matter which groove in the chain tool I put it in

You are missing the bit you tighten from the far side that stops the plate bending.

1.0x0.jpg

U

User6179

[QUOTE 4746030, member: 9609"]I have never seen one of those before, neither of mine have the adjustment at the bottom[/QUOTE]

They might work on 8 speed chains without the bit at the top but for narrower chains you need it or the plate is not against anything and will just bend like the OP .
A washer of the right thickness between the plate and the chain splitter might work .

[QUOTE 4746030, member: 9609"]I have never seen one of those before, neither of mine have the adjustment at the bottom[/QUOTE]

Get one, it makes the world of difference. It is almost as if you need 4 hands less when doing the job.

Reactions: mjr
[QUOTE 4746192, member: 9609"]i can knock them in with a couple of hammers - ^_^[/QUOTE]

Yes, but now you can use 2 less and retire some of your blacksmith tools.

Top Bottom