Connecting chain issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4746192, member: 9609"]i can knock them in with a couple of hammers - ^_^[/QUOTE]
God yes, how did we ever survive. As a kid I'd use a hard pin of some sort, lay the bike down, insert a nut or something under the link and hammer the pin out, then get everything back together with maybe a need to peen over the reinserted pin.
Mind, that'd have been on a bike with a 3 speed Sturmer archer at best.
Pretty horrific by todays standards :tongue:

Tim Hall

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went down to the cycle shop and grabbed a quick link connector, but it's too wide to fit through the derailer! Where am I going wrong?
Ooh, only just spotted this post. Hmm, that's puzzling. What speed chain do you have? What speed transmission (how many sprockets at the back)? What speed quick link did you get?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
God yes, how did we ever survive. As a kid I'd use a hard pin of some sort, lay the bike down, insert a nut or something under the link and hammer the pin out, then get everything back together with maybe a need to peen over the reinserted pin.
Mind, that'd have been on a bike with a 3 speed Sturmer archer at best.
Pretty horrific by todays standards :tongue:
Same memories.
I remember when I got my first split link or magic link or Sooopa-link or whatever it was called. It screwed together I think. I was sooooo excited. I think I took my chain off and cleaned it every week for a short while until the novelty wore off.

Last edited:

arch684

Veteran
I made the mistake of buying a chain from wilco a few weeks ago.I split the chain with my park tool chain tool and both side plates detached from the chain,it went in the bin and i bought a kmc chain.I would not trust them.

Top Bottom