Constipation. Any sufferers here ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
To my knowledge, apart from after anaethsthics for operations** I can't recall ever suffering ** and the nurses got rid of that quite quickly.
But these last few weeks!! I have put it down to this virus ruining my appetite but don't know.
Yesterday I resorted to a couple of DULCOLAX tablets which seem to have done the trick.
However..... I had no idea it could make feel so ill, so miserable.
So, to any who do suffer, you have my new found sympathy.

alicat

Legendary Member
I'll own up to low-grade constipation. I've never tried laxatives. I keep everything moving through sprinkling golden linseed on muesli, yoghurt etc. Has to be golden. Holland & Barrett stock it.

I find that mince pies are keeping me going a bit like those copper topped batteries at the moment .
Following my prostate treatment my digestive system has altered and can swing one way or the other . I have some sachets left over from that treatment which come as a relief at times . :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm awaiting the toilet jokes.

Only had it in hospital when I broke my spine due to the huge quantities of drugs. I was on tablets and drinks to make me 'go'. Wasn't easy without the help of gravity, and the cat litter trays weren't comfortable. I 'only' got to go to the toilet in the last few days in the hospital after asking the surgeon if I could use a loo rather than a potty.

vickster

Legendary Member
Lots of fibre (oranges are good, fruit not juice), lots of water, move around as much as you can.
I’ve been having issues following anaesthetic and codeine...dulcoease helps ease things out as it were

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
My normal diet did contain lots of veg, salad and fresh fruit. This virus has totally killed my appetite and its all I can do to pick at things.

GlamorganGuy

Mate you are definitely not alone, I've had it off and on all my life (I'm in my 50s) and it's especially bad when I'm away from home. Pretty much got it sorted now so I'll pass on my advice for what it's worth... As someone else said, linseed/flax seeds (either golden or brown) are excellent, just a teaspoon full on cereal makes all the difference. You can also grind them into powder and mix them into a drink. Leafy green veg of all types - eat as much of these as poss. Cabbage, kale, broccoli etc - all excellent. Increase your fluid intake as much as possible. In desperation I've eaten prunes and figs but these can make your stomach feel a bit gassy and upset. Some gentle exercises/ stretches can really help - there are yoga for constipation videos on youtube that are quite easy to do. Getting into a squatting position and holding it for a while can help give you the urge to go. Slow, deep breathing when you're on the toilet, before trying to push, also really helps things open up. Chin up mate, it'll get better!

Top Bottom