Constipation. Any sufferers here ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
My diet has always included a good mix of wholewheat products vegetables and fruit . In recent years I have experienced a few ” problems” so now include a heaped dessert spoon of wheat bran on my breakfast cereal Or porridge, problem solved. In the past I have used bottle conditioned beer ( yeast in the bottom of bottle) but ignore the instructions to pour carefully and give bottle a vigorous shake before drinking. Works every time.

GlamorganGuy

To my knowledge, apart from after anaethsthics for operations** I can't recall ever suffering ** and the nurses got rid of that quite quickly.
But these last few weeks!! I have put it down to this virus ruining my appetite but don't know.
Yesterday I resorted to a couple of DULCOLAX tablets which seem to have done the trick.
However..... I had no idea it could make feel so ill, so miserable.
So, to any who do suffer, you have my new found sympathy.
Hope you're feeling better mate. I made a batch of these which sound a bit strange but are actually delicious... highly recommended! https://www.sarsons.co.uk/recipes/pickled-prunes-armagnac

It's all down to diet. Some time ago I was developing piles so changed to oats for breakfast, plenty of fruit more roughage and never had any problems since.
Plus one.
Unless there is something seriously wrong going on, it's all pretty simple.
I do seem to recall way back in the 70s when young my mum coming back from the doctors with some apparent miracle cure of bran sprinkled on stuff.
Thinking back to what we all probably lived on, was probably no great mystery.
More natural fibre needed in the diet.
Sorry mum:smile:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
After my cancer op' I was in for nearly a week and the constipation got quite bad.
The nurse said I will give you an enema.......do you mind if I do it in the ward. ? I said "i don't care, the way I am feeling you can do it in the car park if you wish".
I hope you checked out the location of all the nearby toilets in advance.:ohmy:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I hope you checked out the location of all the nearby toilets in advance.:ohmy:
The only time I've suffered from constipation was after being given opioids for post operative pain in hospital. After four days of "inactivity", I asked for some laxatives which didn't have much effect. I foolishly asked for something stronger. Big mistake. Twelve hours in an NHS lavatory was easily the most miserable, lonely period of my entire life.

newts

Veteran
Moviprep is the ultimate clear out (we're not talking pre film snack rituals), the botton falls out of your world at an alarming rate for many hours💩

pawl

Legendary Member
I knew a constipated engineer once, but he worked it out with a slide rule :whistle:

A mathematician works his out with pencil and paper.

PK99

Legendary Member
The only time I've suffered from constipation was after being given opioids for post operative pain in hospital. After four days of "inactivity", I asked for some laxatives which didn't have much effect. I foolishly asked for something stronger. Big mistake. Twelve hours in an NHS lavatory was easily the most miserable, lonely period of my entire life.

You were not Slowmotion then!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was once in a ward where they gave 4 guys an enema one after the other pre op. Only one toilet in the ward:ohmy:.

PK99

Legendary Member
I once spent a number of days out of it on high dose intravenous antibiotics, kept going by intravenous drips and occasional sips of water.

Losing a stone in weight was a welcome side effect. The olive oil capsule up my rear end to get things moving rather less welcome.

Thanks to having 3 inches of my bowel removed or maybe it was the shock of the subsequent chemo my system seems to have constantly went into a constipated state. Upping my fruit, fibre, nuts, oats, cereal and veg intake never seemed to help it a 90% vegan diet seems to at least makes it tolerable.

Top Bottom