Construction workers stop traffic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Dismount, walk onto pavement, pass lorry, back onto road, continue...

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
Bemused. Surely it's a good thing having someone help a vehicle safely enter/exit a site? Why would they need special permission?
That's not a bad idea. Next time I want to help a car turn right from a main road, should I temporarily walk into the road to stop the main traffic, so some dude can turn right? You know, for safety.

Yes yes I know I'm ranting and not thinking like someone mentioned, and what is the alternative (true true), I just feel irked being stopped by unauthorized people.

I think that Subaru Imprezza coming out of the site while all other traffic was halted, for a rather nimble car, annoyed me.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm not suggesting it is the over arching rule. However, you can not purchase insurance specifically to cover you while engaging in an unlawful act, such as robbing a bank etc. Drink Driving is slightly different and came down to a case law interpretation of the Road Traffic Act, not primary legislation.

I'm suggesting that if you unlawfully direct traffic and someone comes a cropper then no insurer is going to support you. Feel free to list insurers who state they will.
https://www.zurich.co.uk/internet/h...C.11 Construction Combined Policy (02.14).pdf

Page 21, exception (a) to inclusion 1.

It's a bastard complex wording, but it says that the policy doesn't cover motor vehicle use, except where you're loading or unloading.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
The OP has clearly never driven a truck on delivery duties in towns. It's the most stressful job I have ever done in my life; absolutely exhausting. And I was only driving small 3 tonners; I am filled with admiration for the job done by artic drivers on Britain's narrow, twisty roads and ill-planned industrial estates.

You are right, I've never driven such a vehicle and the drivers are skillful. I'm annoyed about the sheer amount of construction work going on, the number of times I am stopped, and the parking of these lorries.

Some people pointed out what is the alternative and I have no practical solutions. If they have to park on double yellow lines then I guess they have to. .maybe the parking restrictions are not imposed on the trucks.

Anyway, happy parking everyone. I hope he car parks charge even higher fees for you to park your cars in town! You will remember this thread next time you get a parking ticket! :smile:

winjim

Smash the cistern
What law gives them permission to require a vehicle to stop, require a driver to obey their instructions? None.

They are not a constable in uniform, an accredited person, or a person assisting a constable, so they simply have no lawful authority with regards requiring road users to obey their instructions.
Surely if they're standing in the middle of the road, a driver is under a legal obligation to stop, and not run them down?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Surely if they're standing in the middle of the road, a driver is under a legal obligation to stop, and not run them down?
That's what I was going to say. They are a pedestrian and have priority. They haven't jumped out from behind a bus and are in fact by standing clearly in the road making themselves more noticeable. Perfectly reasonable.

Oh and round my way, if a traffic warden spots you on double yellows or two wheels on the pavement etc, ticketed. People park like this outside my house all the time, I constantly struggle with myself to not go out and offer the warden a heartfelt round of applause.

I'm not suggesting it is the over arching rule. However, you can not purchase insurance specifically to cover you while engaging in an unlawful act, such as robbing a bank etc. Drink Driving is slightly different and came down to a case law interpretation of the Road Traffic Act, not primary legislation.

I'm suggesting that if you unlawfully direct traffic and someone comes a cropper then no insurer is going to support you. Feel free to list insurers who state they will.

What is unlawful about asking somebody to stop? Sure, if a driver doesn't wish to comply, they can't force them to. But there's nothing stopping them asking somebody to stop.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That's what I was going to say. They are a pedestrian and have priority. They haven't jumped out from behind a bus and are in fact by standing clearly in the road making themselves more noticeable. Perfectly reasonable.
Except if they're judged to be obstructing the highway rather than using it, which is an offence under http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/section/137

Still shouldn't run them down.

Wafer

Veteran
This is your first comment of this thread and it's a moan. Puh! :smile:
No it wasn't, I was at first bemused and now utterly miffed that it's continued and actually being debated... I suppose I shouldn't really be surprised.
It seems like you either want people to be arrested for trying to be helpful and/or you want specific legislation to be setup so that construction workers may assist a vehicle entering/leaving a site under certain strict circumstance, but absolutely not others, because it's unfair that you can't do something vaguely similar for convenience rather than safety anytime you feel like it and it occasionally it slows you down by a few seconds...

U

User33236

There's a difference between requiring a vehicle to stop and asking someone to stop.
Exactly that.

I am an accredited marshal with British Cycling and therefore in prescribed circumstances have the authority to stop vehicles.

Whilst out cycling in North Wales a little over a year ago with a group on 10 or so riders a bag crash from one of them resulted in me having to make some attempt to control and direct traffic, until the injured rider could be made safe, by way of merely requesting drivers cooperate but had no legal recourse if they chose to ignore me.

Top Bottom