Construction workers stop traffic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
When a large truck carrying construction equipment and materials is turning into or coming out of a construction site, I see the foot crew stop traffic to allow the lorry to make its turn. Sure its a big lorry and it takes quite some time to manoeuvre these juggernauts. Are construction workers allowed to stop traffic? Can I?

The other day I even saw construction workers stopping pedestrians and traffic to let a fellow employee zoom out of the construction site in his... Subaru Imprezza (which is a regular size car)!!!

Then, I was cycling along when I saw overhead some building equipment being moved by one of those very tall cranes. "That's odd" I thought. "Surely they should have closed the road down for that" and surely enough, we had one guy making a wimpy effort at stopping traffic from one side of the road only; the side I was not coming from.

And traffic wardens. Oh boy wth do they even do? These big lorries are parked on double yellow lines, half on the sidewalk, some blocking roads entirely forcing car drivers to turn around, and these traffic wardens don't do a damn thing. Wimps! Instead, they go after illegally parked cars. That's fine, they should. But they need to prevent these constructions trucks from blocking roads and parking illegally which they don't seem to do.

I'm leading a brigade against construction crews from controlling our roads. Well, I'm not, but neither am I stopping my progress for their convenience.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
if they've had banksman's training, what's the problem?

Even if they haven't, surely one can gesture for a vehicle to slow down, stop or at least make its driver aware of a potential hazard. Me thinks you're ranting rather than thinking.

What's the alternative? Bring everything in by chopper??

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Having to put up with this on Sarf East London (Deptford/Lewisham) for the past few years now due to the huge amount of development going on. I don't see it as a problem to be honest. The banksmen are usually pleasant enough and try not to keep you waiting too long. Do see them get a bit peeved when idiot impatient cyclists or motons take no notice.

As far as I am concerned they do a good job and seem to care and watch out for peoples safety, not just those on the building sites.

Drago

Legendary Member
They have no powers to stop traffic or require drivers to obey their instructions.

Strictly speaking they're commiting an offence, though if it done quickly cleanly, and in the name of safety i doubt they'd ever get fingered. Furthermore, I also doubt they'd insured if someone has a prang while following their instructions.

winjim

Smash the cistern
What would be the alternative? Get the council to close the road? Get the police to stop the traffic? Sounds expensive.

rugby bloke

Veteran
As usual with all matters traffic it requires patience, foresight and common sense. If a wagon needs to back onto a site because there is no room to turn within the site then its probably going to briefly need both lanes to complete the turn. If it's going to need both lanes then everyone is going to briefly need to stop ... the banksman I have seen are usually pretty efficient at making this happen. Yes the system will be abused but show me a walk of life when it isn't.

If you start your campaign you are going to have to tell us what you see as the alternative ... how do you propose all the materials are delivered to site ?

Drago

Legendary Member
There is no legal mechanism that gives them the statutory powers to stop or direct traffic. Because they can not lawfully do it they are also doing it without proper insurance.

PS I don't have a problem with it, just pointing out their legal position.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
http://www.hse.gov.uk/workplacetransport/information/cooperation.htm

Worth reading that - 70 people a year are killed and 2000 or so injured by vehicles around workplaces. Despite what our tame cop says, I don't believe it's illegal for someone to ask other traffic to stop, and it's a very sensible precaution. If other traffic chooses to ignore the request, I don't suppose a court would have a great deal of sympathy if they were then injured.

As for parking - there should be a specific plan for managing parking for delivery lorries.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The OP has clearly never driven a truck on delivery duties in towns. It's the most stressful job I have ever done in my life; absolutely exhausting. And I was only driving small 3 tonners; I am filled with admiration for the job done by artic drivers on Britain's narrow, twisty roads and ill-planned industrial estates.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
There is no legal mechanism that gives them the statutory powers to stop or direct traffic. Because they can not lawfully do it they are also doing it without proper insurance.
That's not how insurance works.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not suggesting it is the over arching rule. However, you can not purchase insurance specifically to cover you while engaging in an unlawful act, such as robbing a bank etc. Drink Driving is slightly different and came down to a case law interpretation of the Road Traffic Act, not primary legislation.

I'm suggesting that if you unlawfully direct traffic and someone comes a cropper then no insurer is going to support you. Feel free to list insurers who state they will.

Top Bottom