Construction workers stop traffic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
Exactly that.

I am an accredited marshal with British Cycling and therefore in prescribed circumstances have the authority to stop vehicles.

Whilst out cycling in North Wales a little over a year ago with a group on 10 or so riders a bag crash from one of them resulted in me having to make some attempt to control and direct traffic, until the injured rider could be made safe, by way of merely requesting drivers cooperate but had no legal recourse if they chose to ignore me.

I too have assisted with traffic during an accident. On occasion I've done it of my own accord, and another time I asked a cop if he needed help and he asked me to assist with traffic.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
No it wasn't, I was at first bemused and now utterly miffed that it's continued and actually being debated... I suppose I shouldn't really be surprised.
It seems like you either want people to be arrested for trying to be helpful and/or you want specific legislation to be setup so that construction workers may assist a vehicle entering/leaving a site under certain strict circumstance, but absolutely not others, because it's unfair that you can't do something vaguely similar for convenience rather than safety anytime you feel like it and it occasionally it slows you down by a few seconds...

I only got up to the end of the bold bot before I burst out with laughter!

Yes, I am moaning and being selfish about being stopped for a "few seconds" by those guys. But if i and a few other drivers sneak thru, do the construction workers not think its unfair that they have tonwait a "few seconds" extra?

I don't mind being inconvenienced if the construction workers don't.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
That's what I was going to say. They are a pedestrian and have priority. They haven't jumped out from behind a bus and are in fact by standing clearly in the road making themselves more noticeable. Perfectly reasonable.

Oh and round my way, if a traffic warden spots you on double yellows or two wheels on the pavement etc, ticketed. People park like this outside my house all the time, I constantly struggle with myself to not go out and offer the warden a heartfelt round of applause.

But that's what I'm saying. The traffic wardens happily ticket car drivers but I've seen them numerous times walk right past the big lorries that are parked illegally.

The construction worker is a person on the road and of course car drivers should stop for a person on the road. But likewise, pedestrians on the sidewalk have priority over juggernauts getting into a site entrance, so ya know, don't stop me during my lunch break!

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
What is unlawful about asking somebody to stop? Sure, if a driver doesn't wish to comply, they can't force them to. But there's nothing stopping them asking somebody to stop.
Absolutley true. But when I don't want to stop, they get kinda humphy with me. They inconvenienced ME. actually most of the time I of course I stop, but the odd time when I don't want to, why do they think they can inconvenience me, but I shouldnt return the "favour".

subaqua

What’s the point
They have no powers to stop traffic or require drivers to obey their instructions.

Strictly speaking they're commiting an offence, though if it done quickly cleanly, and in the name of safety i doubt they'd ever get fingered. Furthermore, I also doubt they'd insured if someone has a prang while following their instructions.

depends on what the traffic management plan as part of the planning application has in it . in London the problem is at least doubled as we have to deal with TffL and the local authority. sometimes aven triple or quadruple if close to another local authority border. when there is a proper plan there will be a stop go board as part of an approved control system. the stop go forming the point at which they have to stop.

you stick to nicking scrotes and I will stick to construction phase management plans .

martint235

Dog on a bike
Absolutley true. But when I don't want to stop, they get kinda humphy with me. They inconvenienced ME. actually most of the time I of course I stop, but the odd time when I don't want to, why do they think they can inconvenience me, but I shouldnt return the "favour".
If you're inconvenienced that much, why not try talking to the guy who's "making" you stop rather than inconveniencing my day with meaningless drivel?

Levo-Lon

Guru
When i have to help a driver to back into a tight entrance i find most drivers are fine as the lorry blocks the road.. skip lorries blocking a lane, just polite to help motorists to keep moving if you take control..
keep it fair and keep them moving..

the awkward ones just get smile..

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
If you're inconvenienced that much, why not try talking to the guy who's "making" you stop rather than inconveniencing my day with meaningless drivel?

Very funny! ;)

But I don't have time to stop and chat to the guy trying to stop me, or I wouldn't have started this lousy thread. At least I can walk while I dictate to my secretary what to write on this lousy thread.

Very funny! ;)

But I don't have time to stop and chat to the guy trying to stop me, or I wouldn't have started this lousy thread. At least I can walk while I dictate to my secretary what to write on this lousy thread.
Maybe all this rushing around, and that you don't have time to stop for 30 seconds. Is why drivers perform so many dangerous overtakes and manoeuvres because they don't have the time to lose 30 seconds.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
is this what we are talking about?

Vintage-car-being-driven-010.jpg

snorri

Legendary Member
It's a funny old world in which construction sites occupied in the main by skilled, fit operatives, demands vehicles move in controlled areas under supervision of banksmen etc. whilst on public roads peopled by those with a wide range of physical and mental disabilities hgv drivers are pretty much left to their own devices to perform similar manoeuvres.

It's a funny old world in which construction sites occupied in the main by skilled, fit operatives, demands vehicles move in controlled areas under supervision of banksmen etc. whilst on public roads peopled by those with a wide range of physical and mental disabilities hgv drivers are pretty much left to their own devices to perform similar manoeuvres.

I would say that the reason construction sites are occupied by skilled, fit operatives, with banksmen. Is a result of legislation brought in due to abnormally high accident rates.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Mustang 1 I think you are right. I don't think a lorry driver should bother having anyone to help him manoevering when he can't see where he is going.

He should be allowed to reverse out of places without help. Run over peds, squash cyclists, cause mayhem.

I'm just wondering how old you are?..............7.

Top Bottom