Contact lenses and cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Being a newbie to the wearing of contact lenses (i.e. only just learning to get the fiddly buggers into my eyes), I am going to ask a stupid question which I think I already know the answer to..... Is it necessary to wear some form of eye protection such as cycling glasses while cycling, in order to protect your lens covered eyes from dust and annoying flying beasties which make a bee-line for your eyes?

I haven't experienced it yet, but apparently getting dust or grit into your eyes while wearing lenses is not something you would want to repeat.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Yes!

potsy

Rambler
I do most of the time but not always, if it's raining I'd rather not have to keep clearing the water from them, also if it's very cold I like to have my buff up over my nose which then can steam the glasses up.

sabian92

Über Member
I gave up on lenses and went back to glasses. Too much faffing and my optician wasn't too impressed either.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I had eye surgery so that sorted out the issue i had when i used to play football i often had one knocked out.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As what others have said. Wear glasses too.
I no longer wear Contacts but did for about 5 years. In that time I lost 2, both due to watering eye's and the wind catching the lens.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Seems like a resounding "yes" then ^_^. I actually got them to overcome the problems of wearing glasses on the motorbike; what a PITA that is. They steam up every time you stop, apart from on the driest and warmest 2 days of the year; when on the move the top of the frame is right in your line of vision - that is until they start to slip down your nose of course. They were actually putting me off going out on the motorbike - it was just too much of a faff. Haven't tried it yet, but hopefully the contact lenses will put the fun back into the motorbike.

sheffgirl

I don't wear my glasses or lenses whilst cycling. I am short sighted, but my eyes aren't bad enough to need them when cycling. I have to wear glasses for driving, but I figure I'm not going to be going fast enough on the bike that I wouldn't be able to see any hazards in time.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My late and much loved-by-all Irish pal used to use contact lenses. One day he said to me:

"I keep losing my friggin' lenses.... I think they've all gone round the back of my eyeballs!"

:giggle:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I don't wear my glasses or lenses whilst cycling. I am short sighted, but my eyes aren't bad enough to need them when cycling. I have to wear glasses for driving, but I figure I'm not going to be going fast enough on the bike that I wouldn't be able to see any hazards in time.

Like many others, I went from having very good eyesight 10 years ago, to needing reading glasses, to the present situation which has resulted in a marker on my driving licence saying that I must have corrected vision (or I am breaking the law).

I also don't need them for cycling or for most other daily routines, but as I am using daily disposable lenses then I will soon be putting them in for the day and leaving them in (building up to that at present).

Top Bottom