Contact lenses and cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I'd also recommend taking a small bottle of eye drops along on a ride too. Riding in the current cold weather can really dry the eyes out and having contacts in will make them really sore no matter how much eye protection you wear. The last thing you want is a dried out contact stuck to your eyeball.....trust me its incredibly painful.

BTW I don't wear contacts as I've had laser surgery, but do remember some very painful sessions on the bike when I was younger due to rogue contacts.

rb58

Enigma
I don't wear them so often now as I also have a pair of prescription glasses. But I still do sometimes, and I always have a spare pair (disposables) in the saddle bag as I've also lost one when riding on a couple of occasions. Trouble is, when I have lenses in, I need to carry a separate pair of reading glasses as I can't see close up with my lenses in. It's a real PITA - although there are people who wear just one lens in those circumstances which means they can see distance and close without glasses. I asked my optician about this and he said it would be fine to do. (I haven't tried it yet though as my OCD would not permit me to have an odd number of lenses left over :rolleyes: )

oldroadman

Veteran
Having worn specs since the age of 9, I wouldn't change. Surgery would be the option for me, if anything. I have prescription lenses in sunglasses from Optilabs which work well, and on the moto as well. Steaming is not a problem, unless you always shut the visor tight, just run a rubber band round the chin piece and it causes a little gap which allows air to flow in and prevent steaming - simple, cheap, works.
On the bike the Lubsol glasses (from Optilabs) work fine, before which I used Bolle with lenses inside which were OK.
I'm moderately myopic so can read easily without specs, overall I wouldn't use lenses due to the probelms around grit, dust, etc., everyone I know who has used them has had problems, and they have to carry solution, cleaning stuff, around all the time, plus spare specs in case of irritation!. Can't be bothered. Spare specs is all I need.

Lenses, daily disposables, which means I can bring a spare pair or one along in my pocket. Never had any problems as long as I have my Sunwise glasses on top.

sidevalve

Über Member
Seems like a resounding "yes" then ^_^. I actually got them to overcome the problems of wearing glasses on the motorbike; what a PITA that is. They steam up every time you stop, apart from on the driest and warmest 2 days of the year; when on the move the top of the frame is right in your line of vision - that is until they start to slip down your nose of course. They were actually putting me off going out on the motorbike - it was just too much of a faff. Haven't tried it yet, but hopefully the contact lenses will put the fun back into the motorbike.
+1 +1 for wearing something, be it prescription or just a pair of cheapo safety specs. I avoid wearing my glasses when riding as I wear bi focals and looking up then down through the differing lenses tends to send you a bit wierd.
PS Have you tried one of the modern "caberg" full face opening type m/cycle helmets ? Easy to get on and off while wearing specs and the ventillation is brilliant. [sorry in advance to all those who are now about to start banging on about this being a cycling only forum].

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
oh gods. dirt or grit in a lense.
defo get some cycling glasses! saves you the bother. tbh i don't wear lenses much nowdays, i just cba. however i do like the freedom from the glasses.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
2.5 years and never worn glasses but always wearing my contacts. I have extra moist ones that might well have improved the outcome, besides I have spare lenses in my rucksack..

Top Bottom