Contact lenses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Chuffy uses toric daily disposables and seems to get on just fine with them.

Anyone wear them? I did a few years ago and have almost decided to get some again,going for eye test and consultation next week.
Have astigmatism so need the 'toric' ones which are now available in daily disposables,I used to have monthly disposables so need to know how good the modern ones are.
Have already started to look at the trendy cycling glasses I'll be able to wear
cool.gif

I think that is what was once called hard lenses (which is what I have) as also have a stigmatism.

I have worn them for about 33 years. No idea on the comfort of daily ones (I know the soft ones are supposed to be more comfortable )

One pair lasts me about 5 years and costs £100 - £200 or something (cant remember). All I need to run them is one bottle of soaking/cleaning solution which lasts about three months and costs about £5
So I am running my lenses for about £40 - £60 per year. Worth comparing that to the cost of disposables if money is an issue.

I think the quality of a long-term lense must be better and I do often have to have a few pairs (within the cost) before I get a really comfortable pair.

I really have no problems with them and would not bother with daily lenses.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Got an appointment for Friday so will see what they recommend for me,pretty sure I'll be going for soft daily ones though.
Just need to get some sunglasses now,might see if magnatom will lend me his new ones,won't be needing them in Scotland they've had their one week of summer :tongue:
cool.gif

Davidc

Guru
have been told that at 46 i am to old for contacts ?? going spec savers next time rather than d & a

Bizarre. I'm 58 and get my daily disposables from ... D&A.

OK on the bike, but best with sports glasses as well. Trouble otherwise is if theres dust around it causes problems. If I'm wearing contacts on the bike I take glasses just in case and if i'm wearing glasses I carry a set of contacts. (Most cafes and pubs will let you use their loos for putting them in if you explain the problem)

I carry a magnifier for maps - like others above I can't read them with contact lenses, need my varifocals or reading glasses. Getting old and decrepid!

I wear the soft lenses, fortnightly disposable as I couldn't quite get my head around the idea of binning lenses every day.

I get them 3 months at a time from contactlenses.co.uk, much cheaper than my optician, and somehow manage to get more than 3 months out of them.

And oh the joy of shades! and cycling in the rain without having to mess around with glasses. Only once did it rain so much it nearly washed my lens out of my eye, and I managed to catch it and stop pedalling at the same time. God knows how i would have got home if I hadn't caught it.:ohmy:

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
I wear the soft lenses, fortnightly disposable as I couldn't quite get my head around the idea of binning lenses every day.

I get them 3 months at a time from contactlenses.co.uk, much cheaper than my optician, and somehow manage to get more than 3 months out of them.

And oh the joy of shades! and cycling in the rain without having to mess around with glasses. Only once did it rain so much it nearly washed my lens out of my eye, and I managed to catch it and stop pedalling at the same time. God knows how i would have got home if I hadn't caught it.:ohmy:

May end up on the same schedule as you BK,I'm thinking of getting them from opticain 1st then once I'm happy with them I'll find them online.
Riding in the rain and being able to wear nice shades are my main reasons for going back to them(used to be football)

Like Lee I would love to have the laser surgery but am too chicken,how did you get on Lee?

BenScoobert

[QUOTE 1139896"]
I used to wear them, but then had eye surgery so I no longer wear them.
[/quote]

Laser surgery doesn't work for more severe astigmatisms, the eye is still not round wether you zap it or not.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I tried gas permeables years ago, but never got on with them. After five or six hours, my eyes would dry and the lenses fall out.

I just went back to try soft lenses (weren't really available when I tried lenses before). I've got three month's worth of dailies and I love them! Although for days working at a computer, I'd rather stick with glasses. Sadly, that's most days just now.

I've got slight astigmatism in one eye, which the lenses my optician has prescribed don't correct. I've learned to favour the other eye a bit when reading, but maybe that's one reason for me sticking with specs for computer work. I think, too, one tends to stare at a computer screen. In other activities, your eyes are constantly moving and focussing at different distances and that helps somehow.

When I go back for a check-up, I'll see if I can get a trial pack of daily torics for the astigmatic eye and give them a go.

I went to the local Asda opticians, and they've been very good. Their prices are within a pound or two of the best online prices I've found anyway.

I'm pretty queasy about eyes myself, but back in the late 80s when I tried RGPs I got over that quite easily.

redjedi

Über Member
I've been using contacts for a few years now (started because of cycling).

I started with the fortnightly ones, but after a recent eye infection they switched me to dailies. I much prefer the dailies, getting home after a long/night ride, wash hands and just dispose of them, rather than having to clean them first.

I get mine on DD from Vision Express, so I also get free eye test, which was a wallet saver when I went through a period of having checks every 2 weeks for about 4 months. I also got £100 of a pair of glasses, so splashed out on a fancy pair for the first ever time. :thumbsup:

fimm

Veteran
I have a severe astigmatism, a disposable doesn't exist to correct my vision, so I have a Rigid Gas Permeable lens and have done for just over 5 years. they cost me about £200 a pair, over 5 years I've lost and replaced 3 lenses, so about £500 in all for 5 years. Which by my reckoning is a little cheaper than a disposable.

They tell me they are the hardest and most uncomfortable to get used to, I have never worn a soft lens so I can't compare, but after 4 days I was wearing them for 16 hours a day and have been ever since.

NO WAY WOULD I GO BACK TO GLASSES

I am the same, and wear Rigid Gas Permeable lenses. Before I got them (just over two years ago) I had old school hard lenses for about 20 years. I get the impression that opticians are less likely to offer Gas Perms these days. I've never worn soft lenses, but from seeing my boyfriend's, mine are much easier to handle than his, and I can put them in and out without a mirror. Also I believe my vision is better than it would be with softs. Admittedly I do have to take them out and clean them every day.

Top Bottom