Contact lenses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Right,eyetest done and got the OK to try some lenses,they have ordered a pair of fortnightly ones,and some dailies for me to test.
Pick them up next friday
thumbsup.png

Plus being a tight Northerner,got the eye-test and consultation for £13 bargain.
cool.gif

being even tighter if you work with VDU's (I think though new government may be trying to squeeze this out now- check with your work) you can get eye test (not sure if contacts eye test are included) for free.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I wear daily disposables and they are great.

Only problem is now that I'm an old git, I am longsighted as well - and can't read maps etc with my lenses in :sad:

Laser surgery next

But will laser surgery fix that? I thought presbyopia (getting longsighted with age) was because the lens in the eye is not as flexible as it used to be.

I'm the same now, so when I cycle in my contact lenses I have a £2 pair of half-moon reading glasses kept with the map to put on just for map reading. Cheap enough so it doesn't matter if they get broken in the pannier.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
being even tighter if you work with VDU's (I think though new government may be trying to squeeze this out now- check with your work) you can get eye test (not sure if contacts eye test are included) for free.

No I don't work with VDU's but as my next eye test will be 2 years time i should be able to save up enough for it :tongue:

Just taken delivery of my Endura glasses from CRC,all set now.

I wear daily disposables and they are great.

Only problem is now that I'm an old git, I am longsighted as well - and can't read maps etc with my lenses in :sad:

Laser surgery next

I've got one eye much stronger than the other. Therefore it was suggested that I had both contacts the same prescription and that meant I was safe enough to drive and I can see signs etc really well but I can read maps apart from the tiny bits.

I can't always be bothered to use them though as my new ones are larger and are a devil to get put in the eyes, not like my other ones.

Norry1

Legendary Member
But will laser surgery fix that? I thought presbyopia (getting longsighted with age) was because the lens in the eye is not as flexible as it used to be.

I'm the same now, so when I cycle in my contact lenses I have a £2 pair of half-moon reading glasses kept with the map to put on just for map reading. Cheap enough so it doesn't matter if they get broken in the pannier.

Nah, I think you're right - the shortsighted bit can be fixed - I will probably need cheap readers as well.

At the minute, I just get lost and do extra miles :smile:

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Can you get contact lenses that you can use whilst swimming - in toric?

Maybe if you had a good water tight pair of goggles over the top,but not sure.
Whilst I was in the opticians there was a lady in,who has a prescription scuba mask,cool.

BenScoobert

I lost a RGP pair in a pool, oooops

EDIT: No goggles :becool:

Eoin Rua

Been wondering this...going to start swimming on a regular basis as I'm looking to get into triathlons. Reckon I would probably try it with lenses and goggles and any problems just skip the lenses as my eyesight isn't that bad.

With regards to cycling I try to wear sunglasses as much as possible - although in Scotland that's not always an option - but I'll need to get some clear/slightly tinted eyewear soon, probably from Wiggle

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I don't know about toric, but I swim and scuba-dive in daily disposables without any problem. Then again, an advantage of daily disposables is you don't stress about them: just carry a spare or two and it's no problem if you do happen to lose one.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yup, laser correction is the next step for me.
Just research it carefully. I did, and decided against it.

The problem is that the techniques used are changing, on average, every five years. This means that there is no long-term prognosis for the techniques used today. No-one can tell us what might happen to those eyes in 10-20 years because the guys who did it 10 years ago were using a substantially different technique.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cheers Ben, because I was just going to jump right in with both feet without checking what the options or downfalls are
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Just research it carefully. I did, and decided against it.

The problem is that the techniques used are changing, on average, every five years. This means that there is no long-term prognosis for the techniques used today. No-one can tell us what might happen to those eyes in 10-20 years because the guys who did it 10 years ago were using a substantially different technique.

Top Bottom