Contact lenses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
I've been using contacts for a few years now (started because of cycling).

I started with the fortnightly ones, but after a recent eye infection they switched me to dailies. I much prefer the dailies, getting home after a long/night ride, wash hands and just dispose of them, rather than having to clean them first.

I get mine on DD from Vision Express, so I also get free eye test, which was a wallet saver when I went through a period of having checks every 2 weeks for about 4 months. I also got £100 of a pair of glasses, so splashed out on a fancy pair for the first ever time. :thumbsup:

That's the scheme I was on a few years ago,although mine were monthly ones,bit of a pain keeping them clean,though better than the 1-2 year pair I had at 1st,soaking,cleaning,protein removing tablets-it was like a mini chemistry lab in my bathroom
biggrin.gif

srj10

Guru
I have a toric lens in one eye and a normal lens in the other, both soft. I have a yearly contract with my local optician costing £23/month, for that I get a new normal lens every month but just one toric lens every six months, all solutions and eye tests included.I find the only downside when cycling with lenses is the wind and I limit wear time to 8hrs.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Alright Potsy, coming to this late and sort of without time to read through the replies thoroughly- I wear monthlies- I also need toric lenses and would be blind without the contacts - I do think they make cycling and life in general much easier. I did trial these much more permeable oxygen type lenses but actually for the massive increase in cost they were not much better then my usual monthlies. I think dailies can be quite expensive but that just might be me with dodgy 'none sight eye' prescriptions.

So hope they work out -make sure you get the fit ie the ovalness of the lens and the thickness (thicker ones for me sit on the eye much nicer) right as it makes all the difference for atigmatism and this may take a trial of a couple of types of lenses.

As Ian pointed out, I took ages to be able to get lenses in and out of my eye and remember the first crappy optician saying that even babies can do it-- eventually got the hang of it!

Go for it - I haven't looked back since!

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Alright Potsy, coming to this late and sort of without time to read through the replies thoroughly- I wear monthlies- I also need toric lenses and would be blind without the contacts - I do think they make cycling and life in general much easier. I did trial these much more permeable oxygen type lenses but actually for the massive increase in cost they were not much better then my usual monthlies. I think dailies can be quite expensive but that just might be me with dodgy 'none sight eye' prescriptions.

So hope they work out -make sure you get the fit ie the ovalness of the lens and the thickness (thicker ones for me sit on the eye much nicer) right as it makes all the difference for atigmatism and this may take a trial of a couple of types of lenses.

As Ian pointed out, I took ages to be able to get lenses in and out of my eye and remember the first crappy optician saying that even babies can do it-- eventually got the hang of it!

Go for it - I haven't looked back since!

Thanks tt,I too have quite a strong prescription(-4.5) last time I was tested so will take the advice of the experts and hopefully they'll get me the best ones for me.
Do fancy the conveniance of dailies,but imagine the compromise is in stable vision which I would much rather have.
Have set my mind to the fact I will be free of glasses again and have even bought some sunglasses in readiness
cool.gif

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Potsy,
have the same prescription as you, well one eye, my right is -4.50, my left is -2.75. Glasses are a pain in the arse. Daily's are the way to go. As some one else has posted, contactlenses.co.uk prices are very good. 90 pairs for £62.00. And of course it's very east to carry an extra pair when cycling.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Potsy,
have the same prescription as you, well one eye, my right is -4.50, my left is -2.75. Glasses are a pain in the arse. Daily's are the way to go. As some one else has posted, contactlenses.co.uk prices are very good. 90 pairs for £62.00. And of course it's very east to carry an extra pair when cycling.

Having only ever used the opticians to source lenses,do I get some from them this time but not sign up to a DD scheme,and just buy my own then?
Or maybe buy a months worth initially then go my own way?
How much dearer will they be from an optician?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I get an initial set (3 months) from my opticians. After every 2 yearly check up.
Then further sets online which about £15-£20 cheaper for 90 pairs.

Having only ever used the opticians to source lenses,do I get some from them this time but not sign up to a DD scheme,and just buy my own then?
Or maybe buy a months worth initially then go my own way?
How much dearer will they be from an optician?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I've worn daily disposables for years. Once in, you don't even feel them.

I wear standard Accuvue. There are more expensive variants, Moist and something else, but I found that for me the Moist ones didn't seem any different in the eye and were fiddlier to insert.

Tesco is as cheap as the online prices.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
I've worn daily disposables for years. Once in, you don't even feel them.

I wear standard Accuvue. There are more expensive variants, Moist and something else, but I found that for me the Moist ones didn't seem any different in the eye and were fiddlier to insert.

Tesco is as cheap as the online prices.

Good spot Ben,have a Tesco opticians 2 mins walk from me
biggrin.gif

These from online place-£24 for 30 http://www.contactlenses.co.uk/details326_148.html?referrer=Froogle

These from Tesco - £38 for 30 pairs http://www.tescoopticians.com/product.aspx?prod=46

confused now as that means Tesco is £10 cheaper than the on-line place
wacko.gif

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yep, I used to buy mine from the States, but Tesco was within pence of that price. They are cheaper than any UK online supplier I've seen.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Right,eyetest done and got the OK to try some lenses,they have ordered a pair of fortnightly ones,and some dailies for me to test.
Pick them up next friday
thumbsup.png

Plus being a tight Northerner,got the eye-test and consultation for £13 bargain.
cool.gif

Top Bottom