Contador fails drug test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well that is a real shock. I had never ever suspected that Bertie would get a positive test....

....for clenbuterol :rolleyes:

I read right through the thread but that about sums it up. Clenbuterol FFS!

biking_fox

Guru
Another thought - Bertie claims it was contaminated meat imported from Spain.... which presumably wasn't just for him. Who else ate it? This should be tracable, and if they were tested they'd also have positive samples. This should help to prove one way or another the truth of Bertie's claim.

We wait and see I guess.

montage

God Almighty
Another thought - Bertie claims it was contaminated meat imported from Spain.... which presumably wasn't just for him. Who else ate it? This should be tracable, and if they were tested they'd also have positive samples. This should help to prove one way or another the truth of Bertie's claim.

We wait and see I guess.

Penelope Cruz?

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
This should be tracable

Bit of a tall order that (IMO)

Can he really be expected to show traceability for a sirloin steak (other cuts are available) all the way back to the farm where animal was reared?

His defence surely rests on the concentration level 50 picograms / ml (or 0.05 ng / ml) being too small to be of any benefit - the labe threshold for detection is 1.00ng / ml

Having said that Li Fuyu from Radioshack is still facing a ban (I can't find anything new on his case) for the same level in March this year

NickM

Veteran
Personally I'm guessing guilty - if the Voet article is accurate, there was performance improvement for sometime after the drug could no longer be measured. So Bertie takes it on the rest day, hopes it all pisses out, and still has the benefit for the next few days...
The half life of clenbuterol is ~34 hours. Surely he wouldn't have eliminated a dose sufficient to produce an ergogenic effect by the following day?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Having said that Li Fuyu from Radioshack is still facing a ban (I can't find anything new on his case) for the same level in March this year
I've been wondering about that.

Is the difference that Li would not have been tested in the days prior to +ve, and so could not show that *only* the small amount was ever present in his system?

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
I've been wondering about that.

Is the difference that Li would not have been tested in the days prior to +ve, and so could not show that *only* the small amount was ever present in his system?

You might be right - he also protested his innocence based on food contamination, I think

tigger

Über Member
I don't know what to believe - ultimately I think performance enhancement is so endemic in this and every other professional sport that we might as well accept that ALL the top guys do it.

I like Berty and am disappointed. The dose is so incredibly low so as to offer little or no enhancement. He was tested so many times and this is all they came up with? Really its a pointless amount, so I say food contamination is a real possibility. I understand that its often used in pigs to reduce fat???

Like I say I think Contador is an amazing cyclist and wears the yellow jersey well. So I'll believe what I want to ;)

yello

Calls for cycling to be removed from the Tour de France as it's the least important bit

Sums up how the public view racing sadly.

Why "sadly"! The TdF IS an event, a spectacle. You've seen the crowds that gather; at the starts and finishes, lining the roads on-route... they are there to take part in the event. Once it's all passed by, do they look at the results for the day? I suspect most don't. I don't think it's sad, just a more popular aspect of the same event. For me, that's what is humorously spot on about that comment!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Why "sadly"! The TdF IS an event, a spectacle. You've seen the crowds that gather; at the starts and finishes, lining the roads on-route... they are there to take part in the event. Once it's all passed by, do they look at the results for the day? I suspect most don't. I don't think it's sad, just a more popular aspect of the same event. For me, that's what is humorously spot on about that comment!

Well, in France they do, but the general public over here only realise the TdF is on when a doping scandal hits.

Exaggeration of course - some have heard of Cav!

Fiona N

Veteran
Yeah whatever :thumbsup:

[spod alert] It's not that small an amount, 50 pg(per microlitre I assume), as it goes- only eight times less than the 'threshold' as stated. Not that I know much (if anything) about PED use but it is easily detectable by modern (in fact not even that modern] instrumentation. Standard specs on instruments even ten years old measure down to the tens of femtogram level. I wonder why there is a seemingly arbitary threshold in use?[/spod alert]

I thought the concentration used for stuff like this was per millilitre or per gramme which makes it about 80 x. Again I'm no expert - a geochemist not bio-

yello

Been reading a bit about this and something I have found interesting (though in no way offered as a excuse) is that the lab in Germany that has detected this is one of those labs that can detect such small quantities.

To be a WADA approved lab, a lab must conform to certain standard as defined by WADA. They have to be able to detect certain substances to a certain level or threshold. This particular lab significantly exceeds that threshold. That is to say, another (WADA approved) lab would/may not have been able to detect it.

Now a positive is a positive, but should an athlete's career be threatened because there is no consistency of testing across the board?

Note also that this positive only indicates that the substance was found; not that it was intentional doping nor that it would or would not have had any benefit to Contador. The unintentional 'food contamination' argument is plausible, for both Contador and the similarly positive Chinese RadioShack lad.

Top Bottom