Contemplating a build (advice)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

So I’m thinking of building myself a nice summer bike as a winter project, I have never done one before so have a few questions.

I have been looking on eBay at frames and how much they go for. Also groupsets etc, it’s not just about the potential money savings (if any when building your own?) but also about giving myself a wee project.

Where do you all source the parts….I would be looking for 2nd hand frame and groupset etc.

Does it generally work out more expensive to build your own or can it work out less than buying a used bike.

This would be what I’m after if buying used, but I’d take something older if build my own.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36403905...L-nhQ9PRn-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Basically looking for Giant TCR Advanced Pro frame, Ultegra or Dura ace groupset, disc or rim but preferably disc. M frame size.

Looking at used prices anywhere between £1600-£2500 on eBay. Is it do able to buy used parts and build one similar for same or less money.

Last edited:
So I’m thinking of building myself a nice summer bike as a winter project, I have never done one before so have a few questions.

I have been looking on eBay at frames and how much they go for. Also groupsets etc, it’s not just about the potential money savings (if any when building your own?) but also about giving myself a wee project.

Where do you all source the parts….I would be looking for 2nd hand frame and groupset etc.

Does it generally work out more expensive to build your own or can it work out less than buying a used bike.

This would be what I’m after if buying used, but I’d take something older if build my own.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36403905...L-nhQ9PRn-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Basically looking for Giant TCR Advanced Pro frame, Ultegra or Dura ace groupset, disc or rim but preferably disc. M frame size.

Looking at used prices anywhere between £1600-£2500 on eBay. Is it do able to buy used parts and build one similar for same or less money.

I think it usually ends up costing more to build up a bike from components than to buy one already built . I know it sounds good and have done it . On one project I bought a frame and another with bits on it to act as a donor but then felt sorry for it and then had 2 projects . :wacko:
If you can get the parts cheaply then it might work out . Certain parts you would have to buy new anyway such as cables and tyres. A donor frame with all of the components that you need might be a cheaper option.
Have a look to see how much the components are going for to give you an idea of how much it would cost might give you an idea .

Venod

Eh up
Its swings and roundabouts, if you can get the frame and parts at bargain basement prices it will be a cheap build, on the other hand pay top price for parts then its probably cheaper to buy a built second hand bike, but the beauty of building your own is the satisfaction it brings, also you get the spec you want.

You can save money over new by building your own wheels, but sometimes used bargain wheels are available.

I have had some bargain buys from eBay, Facebook groups are also good for bargains, Yorkshire Cycle Sales on Facebook is one of my favourites.

Gunk

Guru
I‘ve built a couple up from bare frames and always lost money when I’ve sold them, Far better to buy a complete bike, strip it and change components (you can also sell some of the stuff you don’t need)

Gunk

Guru
Amen to that!

A couple of my recent builds, all built up from a bare frame.

88DF8A44-9A79-4435-B77A-6A7C049BED78.png

71C4496F-7B33-4EF2-9AF9-36FA5B2216CD.jpeg

BF03E2C0-0A20-4E75-BC2D-A1C34E9AAE39.jpeg

Top Bottom