Conti GP 4 Seasons. Well...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
...they didn't last long did they?!

Couple of thousand miles (or just over half a year)... not sure I got value for money.
Had a handful of punctures, but impressed with their light weight and grip was very good. Think I want to try something different this time around though.

This is for my Boardman CX... they were 700x23 but I think I fancy moving up to 25 this time for a degree more of comfort. The riding will be the daily commute, wet and winter club runs, possibly some light touring (but I doubt I'll be doing another proper tour before they'll need replacing so that's not a major consideration).

I used to have Schwalbe Marathon (not plus) but they were heavy, had an egg and I wasn't happy with them at all. A one off bad experience or steer clear of Schwalbe?
Conti Gatorskins are an option... a bit cheaper than the 4 Seasons. Are they more durable?

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks guys.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
For the daily commute - look no further than Marathon plus. Bombproof for a ride where not puncturing is far more important than shaving a couple of minutes off the time.

On other rides, puncturing is less important and you've got an opportunity to change tyres in advance.

BSRU

A Human Being
If you can, try different tyres until you find the ones you prefer.
Personally my main commuter will always be fitted with GP 4 Seasons, excellent grip in the dry or wet is a must for me. At £30 to £40 a tyre it's something I am willing to pay a little extra for.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
If you can, try different tyres until you find the ones you prefer.
Personally my main commuter will always be fitted with GP 4 Seasons, excellent grip in the dry or wet is a must for me. At £30 to £40 a tyre it's something I am willing to pay a little extra for.
I must admit they've been good, but I have had punctures and the rear has worn very fast. The one which was on the front (now on the back) is still in good condition so I could get away with just buying one for the back and sticking the slightly worn one back on the front as a cheaper option...

I have been tempted by marathon plus but I found my marathons to be a bit slippy in the wet. I actually came off on a bend using them so my confidence with them isn't high, but puncture wise they were faultless.

I'll have a look at the Durano as well.
Cheers

martint235

Dog on a bike
I didn't really like 4 Seasons either. They were ok if you took a great deal of care with them and meticulously checked them after every ride but for over £30 I expected better.

I've been running Marathons (not plus) on the commuting bike for a few months now and love the "Fit and forget" aspect of them. They are heavy and take some getting moving away from lights etc but other than that I've had no problems at all.

I have standard Duranos fitted to Lelly and haven't had a puncture in over 2000 miles, quite a lot of which has been done in less than favourable weather so I can't recommend those highly enough but I don't think they'll ever have the "Fit and forget" status.

BSRU

A Human Being
I must admit they've been good, but I have had punctures and the rear has worn very fast. The one which was on the front (now on the back) is still in good condition so I could get away with just buying one for the back and sticking the slightly worn one back on the front as a cheaper option...

I have been tempted by marathon plus but I found my marathons to be a bit slippy in the wet. I actually came off on a bend using them so my confidence with them isn't high, but puncture wise they were faultless.

I'll have a look at the Durano as well.
Cheers
It would be a bit of a shock going from GP4 Seasons to M+ tyres, when my previous GP4 Seasons needed replacing, whilst I waited for new ones to be delivered, I put my old M+ tyres back on, not a pleasant experience on my next commute:sad:

P.H

Über Member
I like GP 4 seasons as well, but can't justify the cost for time they last.
Panaracer Pasela folding would be my choice in compromise between speed and protection in that size, though I'd be tempted to up the size to 28mm, I doubt you'd notice the speed difference but you would notice the comfort. The 28mm pasela is only 20g heavier than the 25.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It would be a bit of a shock going from GP4 Seasons to M+ tyres, when my previous GP4 Seasons needed replacing, whilst I waited for new ones to be delivered, I put my old M+ tyres back on, not a pleasant experience on my next commute:sad:
It's up to you - if you like spending 20 minutes in the rain by the road every few weeks when you should be at work (or could be putting your feet up at home) fit something else. But I reckon you'll get used to the slight extra weight PDQ.

BSRU

A Human Being
It's up to you - if you like spending 20 minutes in the rain by the road every few weeks when you should be at work (or could be putting your feet up at home) fit something else. But I reckon you'll get used to the slight extra weight PDQ.
They save me at least 10 minutes per day, the current pair are 19 commute days old, 1200km, so 190 minutes or just over three hours saved:tongue: .
"Slight extra weight" is a "slight exaggeration".

P.H

Über Member

Well we can only go on our own experiences.
I'm sad enough to keep records of such things and the average over ten years is four punctures a year, with an average mileage of 8,400 a year, thats 1 puncture every 2,100 miles. I don't use race tyres, but have never seen the need to go to the extreme of M+.
I'm not sad enough to time myself on fixing a roadside puncture, but I'd be surprised if it took anything like 20 min.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
My preference if you can get hold of them is Mitchelin Kyrlion Carbons. I had no problems with the several pairs of 4 seasons I've had, grippy, rolling well and for me good wearing but their only drawback was the cost.
the Michelin have some good reviews don't they. I can find a pair of 700x23 for £20 each. Does that seem about right? They don't have any 25mm but I'm on 23 at the minute anyway so it's not the end of the world if theyre as good as they seem.

the Michelin have some good reviews don't they. I can find a pair of 700x23 for £20 each. Does that seem about right? They don't have any 25mm but I'm on 23 at the minute anyway so it's not the end of the world if theyre as good as they seem.
Thats about right, looking from my history I paid £23 at ribble, I thin they are discontinued there now.

Top Bottom