Continental Grand Prix 4 Season Vectran vs Continental Gatorskin Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking at upgrading the stock Schwalbe Lugano on my new road bike as they are budget tyres and don't seem to have a good reputation. I'm mostly concerned for grip, wet weather performance and puncture resistance. I'm less concerned with weight and speed.

I've been looking at the Continental Grand Prix 4 Season Vectran and Continental Gatorskin tyres. Which of these would be most meet my requirements? Any other suggestions please.

Many thanks!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
GP 4000 / 4 Season / 5000 are way better in the wet than Gatorskin, otherwise known as skaterskin.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I've been using Gatorskins for the past 5 years, all year round. Never had an issue. GP4000's on the other hand I tried since people rave about them, rear laster less than 200 miles before being cut right through on a not very big bit of glass.
Personal choice at the end of the day

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have just taken my Conti GP4000 off for the winter as I am getting a lot of punctures. They are great from Spring onwards. I have the new GP5000T on order and they sound interesting.

BorderReiver

Veteran
I've used GP4000, Gatorskin and 4 Seasons. The GP4000 seem to suffer quite badly from cuts, the Gatorskins have very poor wet weather grip and the 4 Seasons are definitely the best of the lot for both grip and durability- they seem to be just as puncture resistant as the Gatorskins and grip as well as the GP4000.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Just fitted some Gatorskins, had GP4000 on before, so far, I'm not impressed by the Gatorskin's lack of grip, the GP4000 was much better.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Continental Grand Prix Gt’s
Give the same rolling resistance as the GP4000’s and the puncture protection as near as the 4 seasons. I have them on my bikes all year round

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have run Gators 25mm for years without noticing any problems. I know many riders say they are slippy in the wet, but I can honestly say that I haven't noticed it.

gbb

Legendary Member
Just fitted some Gatorskins, had GP4000 on before, so far, I'm not impressed by the Gatorskin's lack of grip, the GP4000 was much better.
As a former long term user of Gators (now trying GP4000s) what i ALWAYS found was when new, Gators have to be run for a couple weeks or so to rough off that shiny new surface. Once done, i never had problems with them.
They do require some vigilance when new :whistle:...but that passes IME.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
The Michelin Pro 4 Ensurance look good. Great review from Cycling Weekly:

"Verdict
I haven't used every tyre on the market, but of the ones I have tried these are the best by a long way. Puncture resistant, fairly fast and very grippy, a brilliant pair of tyres"

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/tyres/michelin-pro4-endurance-tyres

Shame they are OOS at CRC as they are a heck of a lot cheaper than Continental Grand Prix 4 Season. My fear is that the price will go back up when they get them back in stock.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Michelin Pro 4 Ensurance look good. Great review from Cycling Weekly:

"Verdict
I haven't used every tyre on the market, but of the ones I have tried these are the best by a long way. Puncture resistant, fairly fast and very grippy, a brilliant pair of tyres"

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/tyres/michelin-pro4-endurance-tyres

Shame they are OOS at CRC as they are a heck of a lot cheaper than Continental Grand Prix 4 Season. My fear is that the price will go back up when they get them back in stock.
What width are you looking for? How much are the 4 seasons?
Edit...around £32
https://www.merlincycles.com/continental-grand-prix-4-season-folding-road-tyre-700c-45210.html

Top Bottom