Continental - versions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
I have just noticed the Gatorskin on my front and rear are different, but their web site doesn't seem to describe them.

The front says Gatorskin the rear says ultra race Gatorskin. Which is more likely to prevent punctures?

And what's the difference between a Tour and a Race inner tube? I've noticed most of my tubes are marked Race but one is marked Tour.

Cheers
TP

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Tour tube is 170g, race is 100g so I suspect it's thinner. Both say butyl on them.

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
As above, you would think Race is thinner and lighter, for speed, whilst Tour is built to last longer distances with less worry.

I believe Conti changed the name around 2011, from Ultra Gatorskin to plain Gatorskin. Same tyre. The Gatorskin Hardshell is another one which is different and has more puncture protection.

huwsparky

Über Member
I have Gatorskins and they are on about 4k miles, no P's in this time, also done about 10 hours on the turbo. I just wonder how long before I need to buy new ones. They seem pretty indestructible to me. Will probably try some GP4000's or similar for next summer though unless I go for tubs on the next bike. Some say the Gatorskins lack grip but they have done the job for me with no complaints.

Citius

Never noticed any of this...

Any of what?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Dont the race tubes also have removable valve cores whereas the tours are fixed?

I've had two tubes fail with the valve core coming out (two years without punctures), and a brand new one where the core keeps coming off when I try to undo the valve cap.

Top Bottom