Continental - versions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've had two tubes fail with the valve core coming out (two years without punctures), and a brand new one where the core keeps coming off when I try to undo the valve cap.
Conti race tube valve cores and a lezyne screw on pump are a frustrating roadside combination. I hope I have now threadlocked the blighters to blightery.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I had some Conti Tubes and got through 3 in one ride and it took someone stopping and giving me a spare one to get me home, all with a valve core problems and as per @GrumpyGregry Lezyne screw pump, in fact I think I sold what I had left to grumpygreg ^_^

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Yet another rear flat, so I'm back to worrying about the difference in these tyres.

The only description on he Internet of Ultra Race is from Merlin (note this is folding versions)

Continental Ultra Race Folding Road Tyre - 700c x 23mm
Seriously fast tyre. Nimble and quick for the ambitious road racer.

• 110 psi rec
  • 120 psi max
  • Super grippy tread
  • Suitable for all conditions
  • Puncture resistant polymer layer under the tread
  • Weight (g): 220
  • Tyre Bead: Folding
  • Puncture Protection: Yes
  • Threads Per Inch: 180
The end of the training ride leads through beautiful landscapes, a pleasure. Getting ahead of your training partner by sprinting for place name signs, a must! The Ultra Race supports your ambitions. The race orientated tread and the quick and comfortable 180tpi casing plus the Safety System puncture protection belt emphasizes your technical demands.

Versus:

Everyone’s favourite training tyre (formerly known as Ultra GatorSkin).

• The ONLY tyre you ever need. Excellent raining tyre with the weight and performance of a summer race tyre.
  • The most popular 700x23 tyre in the UK
  • Duraskin® cut-resistant layer from bead to bead
  • Quality German made natural rubber tread
  • Praised by both the press and thousands of satisfied users
  • Weight: 220g(23c), 250g(25c)
  • Max: 120psi
  • Road Tyre
  • Tyre Bead : Folding
  • Puncture Protection : Poly X Breaker
  • Threads per inch : 180
The long distance runner.

A durable carbon black mixture, a well regarded puncture protection system and the DuraSkin™-anti-cut fabric turn the Ultra GatorSkin into a real long distance runner. In varying widths of 23mm and 25mm it can be used on the way to work as well as training for road races or for sportives and audax. A durable, tough tyre at a really nice price.

So if they're the same weight, same threads per inch I'm guessing that Ultra Race doesn't have "Poly X Breaker"...?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Pics:

"Gatorskin"
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

"Ultra race"
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Slightly different tread pattern.

I guess my question is, should I buy a matching rear "Gatorskin" as the front isn't puncturing every other day!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So if they're the same weight, same threads per inch I'm guessing that Ultra Race doesn't have "Poly X Breaker"...?
Yes, nor does it have duraskin, which I think is the criss-cross stuff which stops some big bits of glass slicing through the sidewall but doesn't prevent flints and thorns.

I guess my question is, should I buy a matching rear "Gatorskin" as the front isn't puncturing every other day!
It depends how much it bugs you. I'd start by putting the tougher tyre on the rear because that carries more weight. That's my usual approach where I've a mismatch, so one of my bikes has a Schwalbe Delta Cruiser up front with a more protected Marathon on the back, while another has an Vredestein Active Tour on the front with an old Armadillo on the back (I'd recommend current Marathon over current Armadillo though).

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Yes, nor does it have duraskin, which I think is the criss-cross stuff which stops some big bits of glass slicing through the sidewall but doesn't prevent flints and thorns.

It depends how much it bugs you. I'd start by putting the tougher tyre on the rear because that carries more weight. That's my usual approach where I've a mismatch, so one of my bikes has a Schwalbe Delta Cruiser up front with a more protected Marathon on the back, while another has an Vredestein Active Tour on the front with an old Armadillo on the back (I'd recommend current Marathon over current Armadillo though).

Thanks.

I bought the two Ultra Race while they were on discount thinking I'd completed a pair and a spare in case it failed.

I'll use them for training when I stop commuting.

The last remaining question then, is whether to get the "Hardshell" or the "Gator"?

I'm thinking the Hardshell is heavier and more puncture resistant, right?

Edit: Oh and does 25mm over 23mm make any difference?

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
25mm is more rubber on the road, which I think is good if you've the clearance for it.

Not sure on gator v hardshell.

Top Bottom