Continuing the species

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Know this might...well will be contentious... but having a reflective thinking moment and...It became clear to me that I've been pretty preprogrammed in life. Always knew that I'd get married, have a couple of kids etc. Are most people the same? If not, does it take a lot to step away???

By the way, have no preconceptions about people...everyone makes their own decisions...we're all adults :-)

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Know this might...well will be contentious... but having a reflective thinking moment and...It became clear to me that I've been pretty preprogrammed in life. Always knew that I'd get married, have a couple of kids etc. Are most people the same? If not, does it take a lot to step away???

By the way, have no preconceptions about people...everyone makes their own decisions...we're all adults :-)

I don't understand the question. Step away from what?

Mobytek

No kids, not want any either. How much has the world changed in the last 100 years, would you want to submit someone to what it may be in another 100? seems like sentncing someone to death (well it is really) but also to a life of want, greed, desparation, and probably scraping the barrel and trying to lie up t others requiements etc.

So have a partner at the moment, and long may it last, but wold happily move off to live a life of seeing the world, and not just "seeing the world" but there are a million places and things to see - mostly natural phenomonen that are here regardless of humans.

One day I'll die and quite possibly not have any memories, so see it and do it whislt you can and are able to.

Just think - those clouds would be there even if there were no humans on the plant, have been there for millons of years before, and will be there for millions of years after us....

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
I don't understand the question. Step away from what?
Sorry, not the best phrasing...I just feel like for me, there has always been a 'path' that I've been expected to take...and I have and am happy...just know that people have also had certain expectations and have had to make other choices

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My parents banged on and on about how I would marry and 'give them' grandchildren, get a job in a shop and do that for 40+ years, get a mortgage, supermarket run on friday pay day, hand over wages to Hubby yada yada yada.

I left home the day after my last O Level. I don't own a house, I have in the past but not at the moment. No kids either. Never ever wanted them, even when I was a kid I knew that I didn't want children. Married, yes. I married a man who never wanted kids nor expected to get married.
I've never ever done what has been expected of me. My parents drummed into me that I would have this life that they expected me to have so I have avoided it all as much as I can. I have spent much of my life going where the wind blows me.
Currently it's blown me into a Guitar Academy and I am quite happy there. I wonder where it will blow next. Thankfully too old for kids now.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Married at 22, mortgage, 2 kids. Still married to the same woman after 22 years.

It's not been 'expected' but I'd not change it.

The species will continue as our biology will make sure of it. Most however would not realise it and prefer to spend their time innovating, pushing the envelope, build on things that their forefathers had done and enjoying the pleasures of life and the universe that we live in.

Then you have small minority that need to make a statement why they are different and why they are rebels and never following the norms.

So i guess Op was on the right path - enjoying life and creating life. Good thread to consider what we are.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm sure the world would actually benefit from my progeny, but because of my life choices, it'll probably have to get by without. I'm sure you'll all struggle by regardless...

Married at 23. Having brought up my brother and sister at the age of 14 and 17 when they were born, I didn't see the need for children of my own unless they were accidental. My mother is on her 3rd marriage, today I celebrated my 18 my wedding anniversary, no children, no mortgage, still tenants and happy with that. He would have made an excellent father but it's not the way life worked out.

Top Bottom