Convert Scott AFD road bike to flatbar.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok, I'm definitely aiming to do this.
The Scott has an 8-speed Sora with triple Ritchey chainring. The intention is to use the bars, levers, and shifters, if possible, from an 8-speed Altus hybrid. And to switch to the Altus triple chainring or get the matching Sora. Both are 48-38-28 compared to the Ritchey's 52-42-30.
As far as I can see, the fd shifter should be fine, the Rd shifter might be ok, and a big question mark is on the brake levers, although apart from different cables, I don't see why they can't be made to work.
As the Scott is really a bit big for me, I'm hoping the fit can still be made, as I understand the reach will decrease.
I'd appreciate any and all comments.
Aythangew...

Ajax Bay

Guru
What RD are you planning to use with the flat bar shifter?
If the Altus chainset doesn't suit (can't see why not) then try Spa Cycles chainsets (48-38-28) at £35 and look smart/incognito.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just check the FD compatibility , is the altus road or mtb cable pull as they are different.
Also as long as you get brake levers for caliper brakes you should be ok , again mtb brake systems have a different amount of pull.

iluvmybike

Über Member
If the bike is basically too big for you as you say, surely better to cut your losses, sell it and get one the right size. You could up spending a lot of money on changing it over but at the end of the day if the bike is too big it is too big

vickster

Legendary Member
A too big roadbike might be the right size when converted to flat bars. But you could spend £100+ converting and it'll be all wrong still

I had a roadbike that was the right size which ended up too small even with another 3cm of stem

As above, better to sell and get a bike that is right

Understood , from both of you. However, it's likely the cost is not high, there will be leftover parts to recoup spending, and if needs be, a third bike to sell to accrue more funds. The Scott is not too big, but at the limit.
What finally decided me was my electric bass. When I couldn't get what I needed, I put together something that worked for me from more than one instrument. No reason to think that's not possible with a bike, just a different set of technical challenges.

What I intend to get:
Altus 11-34 cassette
Altus RD
Altus FD
Altus triple chainring 48-38-28
New chain.
If I find that i really do need different brake levers, they are easy enough to find (eg Tiagra R550s), along with separate trigger shifters.

Or I might do the whole thing in Acera, as that's not too much more.

OK, the problems with this conversion, as far as the drivetrain goes, are these:
1) The front mech is screwed to a mounting (braze-on?), and there's no Altus equivalent. The seat tube is not round, so I can't convert to a clamp-on. So I don't know if I can continue to use the Sora mech if I change the chainset to Altus or the Spa Cycles set that @Ajax Bay mentioned above. In fact, it would seem that the best approach is to use the Sora AND the big chainset, and simply mess with the rear gearing. This leaves the problem of 3).
2) Rear mech should simply change, with appropriate cassette, as it will likely match perfectly with the bar shifters, despite being different models of Altus, so far as I can tell. If not, new shifters not pricey.
3) I cannot find a flat bar shifter that would seem to be compatible with the Sora front mech, but my knowledge is limited.

All else is mainly tools, and that's a matter of just getting them together.

Last edited:
Top Bottom