Converting 1972 Raleigh Esquire into practical commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattDB

Über Member
I've posted a few different thoughts about using an alternative bike to my road bike in the winter. This isn't about preserving a beloved bike, just about riding something more stable in the wet. One of my thoughts (this morning) was that I could get some new parts for my Raleigh (which hasn't sold on ebay) to make it a practical alternative.

I've commuted on this bike previously in good weather than other than needing to drill out some stuck cotterpins it's been well looked after. The biggest drawback is the wheels - chrome - which have very little stopping power.

I could change the front wheel over with little problem but the rear- with a 3-sp SA hub... Is this a job for an experienced mechanic? or could I get something ready to go?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated - is anyone using a vintage bike with modern wheels?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I could change the front wheel over with little problem but the rear- with a 3-sp SA hub... Is this a job for an experienced mechanic? or could I get something ready to go?
It's probably cheapest to get someone to build the 3-speed hub into a new rim. Around here, I think it's £20-30 plus the cost of the new rim.

The other approach is to try new steel-specific brake pads (Fibrax raincheaters are a popular one) to see if you can get them to produce enough stopping power. Most brake pads for softer aluminium rims just skate along chrome in the wet.

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
Thanks that's interesting I didn't realise there were steel specific pads - sadly just looked at that site and then my current pads and they're the ones I've got in! Do very little in the wet - not helped by myself and the bike both being very heavy!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've posted a few different thoughts about using an alternative bike to my road bike in the winter. This isn't about preserving a beloved bike, just about riding something more stable in the wet. One of my thoughts (this morning) was that I could get some new parts for my Raleigh (which hasn't sold on ebay) to make it a practical alternative.

I've commuted on this bike previously in good weather than other than needing to drill out some stuck cotterpins it's been well looked after. The biggest drawback is the wheels - chrome - which have very little stopping power.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated - is anyone using a vintage bike with modern wheels?
Yep, I've got a few and it's not difficult. 700c wheels are conveniently in between 26" and 27" so swap with few changes other than brake calipers sometimes.
My current project is a 26" wheel Raleigh city/courier 3spd converted to 700c rims with a Stronglight 48 tooth crank (instead of a steel cottered one)
Be aware though that there are 5-6 different size wheels all badged as 26" which are all smaller than the British size so MTB rims probably won't fit the brake drop, but they might it depends on the brakes fitted.

Top Bottom