Converting a flat bar hybrid to a drop bar tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Guru
To use drop bar shifters, you'll need to change to a road front mech........

It's a triple. This thing was essentially a racing bike/ road bike, but with flat bars. It was never a mountain bike with skinny tyres. It's the Ridgeback Adventure from probably 25 years ago.

Last edited:
Triple chain ring, 8 at the back. The groupset is Nexave.
It should work with modern brifters. The shift ratio on mountain and road bikes remained the same until 10 speed came along. For Shimano it was 1.7, others are different, so so long as you use Shimano Brifters, 8 speed, it will work. The other thing you might have to consider is brakes. Mini V's will work with the brifters, ordinary V brakes, not so well.

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Guru
It should work with modern brifters. The shift ratio on mountain and road bikes remained the same until 10 speed came along. For Shimano it was 1.7, others are different, so so long as you use Shimano Brifters, 8 speed, it will work. The other thing you might have to consider is brakes. Mini V's will work with the brifters, ordinary V brakes, not so well.

Bugger. My brakes are very old-fashioned.

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Guru
I have some 9 speed and some 10 speed bar end shifters available and a pair of brake only lever available if that is an option for you?

Thanks so much for the offer, but bar end shifters aren't my thing.

Bugger. My brakes are very old-fashioned.
Canti's? If so you might be able to use mini v's, depends on the Cantis and you would probably be best posting a photo and hoping someone with a bit more knowledge than me can comment on them. They may or may not be compatible.

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Guru
.......you would probably be best posting a photo and hoping someone with a bit more knowledge than me can comment on them. They may or may not be compatible.

Here you go:

6rrMYFZ.jpg

eCVc80n.jpg

444wXbQ.jpg

GN6BBXK.jpg

KQoKuSD.jpg

hlfQY8z.jpg

Straight away I can see another issue: the one piece stem.

C R

Guru
Top Bottom