Converting a flat bar hybrid to drops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
My missus now prefers riding with drop bars and was wondering if it was possible to convert her Giant Escape hybrid that she uses for touring/shopping etc.
I said it was perfectly possible, but whether it would actually work out well was another matter, due to the frame geometry.
Has anyone done this type of conversion?
I know that the bars, stem, levers and brakes will need changing.
She really likes the Escape (it's a diamond frame model, not a ladies step through), but has said that if the conversion worked she would keep it, rather than sell it and get a drop bar tourer. It would most likely be the cheaper option as well.
Thoughts?
Studio_20161111_133540.png

Dor

Regular
yes I did this to my daughters escape. I just got a second hand set of bars with Sora triple shifter off E bay pretty easy swap adjusted the brakes up a bit firmer no problems at all. May need to change the gear cables and things but not expensive. Didn't change the stem but that all depends on the individual I expect.

Tommy2

Über Member
There's been a few threads about this already, have a search cos they may answer your questions.
There is talk of needing different derailleurs.

Tilley

Über Member
It should be possible to retain the stem and just replace the bars and levers. You may have some compatibility issues with the derailleurs if you are thinking of using STI levers, but you could opt to use bar end gear levers to avoid this. I would suggest that you thoroughly investigate all of the likely costs before starting as it may well be cheaper to trade in the hybrid for a new road bike. The other alternative would be to look for a used road bike, if funds and space will allow.

huggy

Don't bother I'm in the middle of it for various reasons, by the time you've got all the bits and your time your better off buying one of the many value road bikes available new or second hand.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Sadly, it's not as easy as all that. STI levers won't work V brakes or MTB front mechs properly.
Plus, if that's got a 7 speed rear wheel, then 7 speed STI levers are pretty old now.
I think it's N+1 time. Do you have a Decathlon near you? This Triban 500 would be hard to beat, less hassle and potentially cheaper than changing the hybrid.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Sadly, it's not as easy as all that. STI levers won't work V brakes or MTB front mechs properly.
Plus, if that's got a 7 speed rear wheel, then 7 speed STI levers are pretty old now.
I think it's N+1 time. Do you have a Decathlon near you? This Triban 500 would be hard to beat, less hassle and potentially cheaper than changing the hybrid.
STI levers will work perfectly well with mini V brakes.
The bike is actually 8 speed.
It's also SRAM, which may make STI levers impractical.
She's already got a carbon Ridley Liz, custom build, so I really don't think the B Twin would hit the spot....do you?
She's after a touring bike anyway, not a (cheap, low spec) road bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
See @User46386 post on this page. May still be available, never know!

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/found-a-bargain-do-tell.16260/page-767

KneesUp

Guru
Get bar end shifters (cheap, easy to trim, bomb-proof, good enough for Tom Simpson) and you don't need to worry about all this STI nonsense.

Top Bottom