Converting a MTB bike cassette size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Trying to find a way to use both my MTB and Road bike on a smart trainer. I have a 10 speed cassette on my road bike and smart trainer, but by MTB has an 8 speed group set (with triple front ring). Is it as simple as changing the cassette and chain to a 10 speed set up, or are the extra considerations for the type of bike that make this changeover more tricky?

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe derailleurs are speed specific too?
Why not just use one bike on the trainer?

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
Maybe derailleurs are speed specific too?
Why not just use one bike on the trainer?
And more importantly, the 8 speed shifter would only be able to access 8 of the 10 cogs, but in reality it is unlikely to work, because the shifter pull will be wrong for a 10 speed cassette spacing.

Ajax Bay

Guru
To be frank, if you feel the (must) need to use both bikes on the turbo trainer (assume you'll be prepared to put the 8sp cassette back on if you go for a ride on the MTB), you could swap the MTB cassette for a (?old) 10sp cassette (NB with spacer) and put up with a bit of misalignment with the gears when you're on the trainer. The 8sp chain will not be great (on a 10sp cassette) but it won't jam (ease off when changing gear). The chain will probably be OK on a specific sprocket and one either side, plus you can use the triple to give you 9 different gears.
You're not going anywhere, after all. Success will depend on 'putting up with it' thresholds.

Top Bottom