Converting a road bike to flat bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ozzrahog

I am converting my Triban 5a to flat bars and have a quick question around setting up the gears. The bike has SORA 9 speed cassette and a triple on the front which I am retaining and going to use the corresponding SORA flat bar shifters.

What I would like to know are any handy hints and tips for setting up the gears with the new shifters and cables that will help make indexing them easier

Cheers

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I'll give it a go. If your shifting was working properly before, then your derailleur limit screws should be all set. Theoretically, it should just be the case of installing the cables with the appropriate tension, but it usually doesn't work that way (or at least that's what I've found YMMV, but I tend to end up slightly adjusting the limit screws anyway)...... Also, this is most easily done using a workstand, but not impossible to do without one (just a tad more inconvenient).

Assumptions: you know and have the correct cable routing, your cables and housing are in good condition, and your cables are in the position ready to attach to your derailleurs. Your shifters are compatible with your current drivechain. When I say "chainring" that refers to the chainrings at the crank position, not the rear gears.

1. for front derailleur, make sure you front shifter is in the position where there is the least cable pull (i.e. usually where the chain is on the inner ring). Make sure if your shifter has a barrel adjuster that it is about 3 turns out (this allows for adjusting the tension of the cable). Attach the cable to the front derailleur with as much tension as possible without the front derailleur moving out of the position. You can help do this by manually pushing the derailleur towards the large chainring. -this can help you set a good tension.

Since you adjusted the barrel adjuster of your front shifter (you did, right?) this should allow for some lee way to adjust the cable to get the tension just right (this can take a little practice; it's not unusual not to have enough tension on your cable which is why I mentioned manually pushing the front derailleur towards the big chainring to help get that initial tension). Again, theoretically if your shifters worked well before, they should have their limit screws well adjusted, and you shouldn't need to touch them, just adjust that cable tension.

2. Rear derailleur: this is similar for the front derailleur, but first, put your chain in the middle chainring (this is the middle position, and should help provide a "neutral" chain position for the extremes of the inner and outer chainrings so you get the best adjustment). Again, screw out your rear shifter barrel adjuster by 3 turns and put the shifter in its shortest cable pull position. If all is working well, your chain should slip into the rear gear that requires the least amount of cable tension. You can pedal a few turns to make sure (be aware if your limit screw setting is wrong, your chain may become trapped between the frame and spokes/gears so be careful and gentle). Once that's done, this is similar to the front derailleur; attach the cable to the rear derailleur with just enough tension to prevent the rear derailleur from moving from its position. Again, you can help gain tension by manually pushing the rear derailler towards the other gears. And again, you should be able to adjust the cable tension by the rear shifter barrel adjuster.

Pretty much, so long as you have your limit screws set properly, it's then just a case of getting the right cable tension. As I said before, usually I end up having to adjust my limit screws in some little way, but you should be in the ball park with the above. And as I also mentioned before, having a workstand makes this job much easier. Finally, have a test ride -you may find you still have to do a little tweaking as compared to the no load situation of the bike being in a workstand (or at least with no rider on it trying to push down on the pedals).

Forgot to say: at least for Shimano, there is a different cable pull for the front derailleur for road vs mtb. I'm guessing you had a road group on before, so just make sure your front shifter has a road pull (sounds like it has as it is called Sora).

Hey, good luck!

Last edited:

Sterba

Über Member
Consider carefully the gap on the bars between the brake levers and the gear levers. The gear levers, inside, ie nearer the stem, should not be tight up against the brake levers. Trial and error will show you how far apart they need to be. However, you will find that you only need the tips of the gear levers appearing under the brake levers. This will place the thumb-shifting lever close enough to your hand while on the handlebar grip. Your forefinger only needs to just feel the end of the gear lever near the body of the brake lever, as these ones take only light pressure to move. I expect you have already made your purchase, but if not, take a look at the combined brake and gear lever in the Sora range, it works very well.

OP
OP
Ozzrahog

Ozzrahog

looked long and hard for a combi brake and and gear set but couldn't find it was hard enough to find separate sora shifters and brakes

e-rider

crappy member
road bikes with drop bars have much shorter top tubes than bikes designed for use with flat bars

if you simply put flat bars on a drop bar bike, you will find the reach really short

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
looked long and hard for a combi brake and and gear set but couldn't find it was hard enough to find separate sora shifters and brakes

I think you are right - afaik Shimano flat bar brifters having correct cable pull for road front mechs don't exist.

[QUOTE 2957080, member: 45"]Isn't the pull different for flat bar gear levers? When I did the same to mine I was told I needed an r440 front derailleur.[/quote]

Relatively recently these sora shifters came out, having road front mech cable pull. I presume they are what the OP has in mind for his conversion.

Nevertheless one shouldn't rely on what sellers call these things - e.g. despite CRC giving these a sora label, these 8 speed brifters have wrong cable pull for road front mechs.

Indeed most so called "flat bar road shifters" for 8 and 9 speed have very specific front mech requirement as specified in here. These front mechs are often used on hybrids, require mtb cable pull, but differ from mtb front mechs in that they are designed for road chain ring size and chainline characteristic.

Sterba

Über Member
I am sorry to disagree with the above. Shimano 8 speed road equipment pulls the same amount of cable whether it is flat bar or drops. The indexing is in the gear lever, not in the front mech, which is a passive item, ie moves as much as it is told to by the gear lever. Yes mtb is different, but Sora isn't mtb.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I am sorry to disagree with the above. Shimano 8 speed road equipment pulls the same amount of cable whether it is flat bar or drops. The indexing is in the gear lever, not in the front mech, which is a passive item, ie moves as much as it is told to by the gear lever.

You are mistaken. Mr. Paul and I have been talking about this family of current flat bar road components and their ancestors, which represent the vast majority of flat bar road shifters and front mechs on the road (because the new SL-2400/3, SL-3500/3 and SL4500/3 have only appeared recently). I am saying those shifters have mtb cable pull, and therefore require specific front mechs as specified in those tech docs to handle road ring size and chainline. To convince yourself all you need to do is to measure their cable pull - they pull nearly 50% more cable over a triple than the 13.5mm a Shimano drop bar front triple shifter would, same as the mtb.

It wouldn't take a genius to deduce, that given the shifters pull as much cable as mtb shifters, and they are compatible with road chainsets as specified which have essentially the same chainring pitch as mtb chainsets, that the specified front mechs must have the same cable pull requirement as mtb mechs.

There is nothing to stop you using those shifters with normal road front mechs as a kludge, which undoubtedly some numpties do, except that for the cable tension to be correct for the middle ring which is essential for indexing you will have slack cable for the small ring and a highly stressed system for the large ring.

Sterba

Über Member
Why then does the text say:
"10-Speed flat handlebar components are designed for use with Dura-Ace, Ultegra and Shimano 105 series components."

These are not mtb groupsets.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Why then does the text say:
"10-Speed flat handlebar components are designed for use with Dura-Ace, Ultegra and Shimano 105 series components."

These are not mtb groupsets.

It is because they work with chainsets, chains and rear mechs from those road series, which you can see if you look at the relevant tech docs within each of those component sub-menu.

I did not say they are mtb groupsets - I have already mentioned above that these front shifters and front mechs have mtb cable pull but are designed for road size chainrings and chainline. Hitherto they are most commonly used on hybrids, I don't know whether future hybrids will employ the new SL-2400/3, SL-3500/3 and SL4500/3 series family of shifters, which will allow conventional road front mechs to be used, but they seem to be more expensive.

Sterba

Über Member
My Ulegra flat bar shifters pull the correct amount of cable for my Ultegra front and rear mechs, so why would they have mtb cable pull?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
My Ulegra flat bar shifters pull the correct amount of cable for my Ultegra front and rear mechs, so why would they have mtb cable pull?

If you have these then they are pulling too much cable for a typical Ultegra road front mechs (i.e. mechs with a model code like FDnnnn where n are digits), as clearly stated in the CRC advert as well as this tech doc they are designed to work with a FD-R770/R773 front mech. With a conventional road front mech if you have a double chainset then you should let the cable goes a little slack on the small ring (relying on the L limit screw for positioning) to avoid stressing the system on the large ring. If you have a triple chainset you will be stressing the system on the large ring.

Debating whether this family of flat bar front shifters/mechs and their predecessors have mtb cable pull is a bit like discussing whether 1+1=2... If yours is one of them why not measure it? All you need to do is to loosen the cable at the front mech, a marker pen on an exposed bit of inner cable at a cable stop and a ruler. If it pulls ~19.5mm of cable across a triple then it has Shimano mtb (e.g. Deore) front mech cable pull. If it does not what is your front shifter's model code?

Sterba

Über Member
The original questioner asked whether he could simply switch to Sora flat bar shifters.The Sora ST3503 pulls exactly the same amount of cable as the Sora SL3503. They are both designed to work interchangeably with the FD3503. The only answer to his question is Yes, no problem.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The original questioner asked whether he could simply switch to Sora flat bar shifters.The Sora ST3503 pulls exactly the same amount of cable as the Sora SL3503. They are both designed to work interchangeably with the FD3503. The only answer to his question is Yes, no problem.

Indeed. That is exactly what I indicated a week ago. Hopefully you are no longer disagreeing with anything I said in that post.

Top Bottom