Converting an old MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joshw

I'm thinking of converting an old mountain bike into an expedition bike for possible future touring.

Would something like this be alright?

7dfa_1.JPG

rikgrimsby

looks ok to me.put some vbrakes on change the peddals, seat ect..

Looks ideal. Does it have lugs for a rear rack? I built my girlfriend's first tourer from a Claud Butler MTB frame I found in a bin, and a load of bits I had knocking around. As I remember, the rear rack I put on that was held on with bits of old LED light brackets and it held up ok with a load on it. So maybe lugs aren't really necessary after all.

yello

Lugs are actually frame joints, where tubes meet. I suspect Rhythm Thief means bosses; protruding bits for attaching brakes, racks and the like. Often referred to as 'braze ons' because they are, um, brazed (like welded) on to the frame.

Difficult to say about whether that MTB is suitable for conversion to a tourer. To be honest, it doesn't look like an MTB frame to me! Not that it really matters, you can tour on anything. Even if you don't have bosses for a rack, there are other ways of fixing one. Personally, I'd not switch the brakes to v-brakes unless there's a problem with them. Cantis, like all brakes, are fine so long as they're set up correctly.

thePig

The bike looks fine.
I use my hardtail mountain bike as a tourer and it has worked perfectly. I have fitted some 1.5" tyres and it makes a bit of difference to the speed. Also you can do without lugs, most racks will come with attachment braces that wrap around the seat stays. I use the blackburn expedition 2 rack.

Top Bottom