Converting hardtail into a commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The OP wants a 'heavy duty tourer'.

The Bird is certainly heavy duty, but in all other respects is not a good prospect for conversion.

No easy means of mounting a carrier, mudguards, and no bottle cage mounts that I can see - the triangle may be too small.

All of this can be sorted one way or another, but it's going to be a p-clip and zip tie fest.

I doubt the near downhill geometry would be comfortable for long hours at a steady touring pace.

Then there's the gearing.

One or 2 X 10 is a lot less than ideal for touring.

A mountain triple is what's required, which may - or may not - be simple to fit on the Bird.

Many more cross-country orientated mountain bikes are good candidates for conversion.

My Cannondale SL1 has two bottle cage mounts, bosses for mudguards and a carrier, and a mountain triple which gives sufficiently wide gearing.

Even then, I think most riders would want the bars higher for comfortable touring - I've already chopped the ridiculous width.

At least that only leaves one thing to tinker with.

Salar

A fish out of water
Good points. I've got mounts, bosses for most of my bits on my Hoss, as said the bars may need to be raised (still to do mine)

OP
OP
R

razer17

The OP wants a 'heavy duty tourer'.

The Bird is certainly heavy duty, but in all other respects is not a good prospect for conversion.

Nah, not a tourer. No paniers or racks. Some mudguards are about the closest I'll get a to a tourer. Also, I'm just between sizes, so the L frame I have isn't actually as long as perhaps it might be. And the head angle is 69 degrees, so it's not that slack either. Ride to work is only 5 miles
Sell the Zero to someone who would use it for its intended purpose, then go and buy a more suitable bike with the money!

But real commuters are heavy and they all look so boring comparatively. And I'd lose quite a lot of money I would imagine.

Unfortunately that's just the nature of selling on bikes.
No one knows how much you have spent making it in to a worthy bike,and frankly they don't care.
All they want is a bargain,so if you were to ask for more or less what you paid for it,it would bomb.
And you would have to drop the price eventually,as per what I see with bikes on eBay.
They try and recoup the money they have spent on it,and ask for what they paid for it.They end up dropping it £100,then another £100 until it does seem like a bargain

So,all that said,I think you should keep it and stick some mud guards on it.
Because I think you would be disappointed not only with parting with it,but the price in which you did.
Been there with a Titanium bike,when I had to sell it for £375 under the asking price.
Another idea would be to break it down and sell it as parts,maybe a better way to get your money back

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Nah, not a tourer. No paniers or racks. Some mudguards are about the closest I'll get a to a tourer. Also, I'm just between sizes, so the L frame I have isn't actually as long as perhaps it might be. And the head angle is 69 degrees, so it's not that slack either. Ride to work is only 5 miles

But real commuters are heavy and they all look so boring comparatively. And I'd lose quite a lot of money I would imagine.

Ah, you did say 'rugged tourer' in your OP.

A five mile commute is a fish of a very different flavour.

For that, I wouldn't even bother changing the Zero's tyres until you've worn them out.

OP
OP
R

razer17

Ah, you did say 'rugged tourer' in your OP.

A five mile commute is a fish of a very different flavour.

For that, I wouldn't even bother changing the Zero's tyres until you've worn them out.
I'll end up doing more than 5 mile rides, but not any fully loaded epics.

As for the tyres, they're going onto my full suspension bike, because the original tyres on that bike aren't the best.

I ride my MTB as a commuter.
I've lockable forks, so they're permanently locked.
I've kitted it out with a rear rack, mudguards, and SPD pedals.

It's the only thing I've done to it, bar changing the tyres for originally Conti TourRides to SportContact tyres.

The TourRides are a great tyre, but the Sport Contacts are considerably faster for my commute.

My commute is pretty much hills and all road, such is the life of a Plymouthian though.

Just do what you feel right, but I do think locking or changing your forks if they can't lock, is a good way forward.

Jody

Stubborn git
Why not just throw a set of slicks on the Bird and use as is? No drastic changes, you get to keep her incase you want a spin off-road and won't limit your market if you come to sell.

Other than that I agree with Mr Biker Boy that its a waste of a good bike turning it into a commuter just to be different.

OP
OP
R

razer17

Why not just throw a set of slicks on the Bird and use as is? No drastic changes, you get to keep her incase you want a spin off-road and won't limit your market if you come to sell.

Other than that I agree with Mr Biker Boy that its a waste of a good bike turning it into a commuter just to be different.
I've bought some Marathon Pros, so I'm gonna stick them on and ride it as is. Lock the firm and hopefully it'll be quick enough.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Unfortunately that's just the nature of selling on bikes.
No one knows how much you have spent making it in to a worthy bike,and frankly they don't care.
All they want is a bargain,so if you were to ask for more or less what you paid for it,it would bomb.
And you would have to drop the price eventually,as per what I see with bikes on eBay.
They try and recoup the money they have spent on it,and ask for what they paid for it.They end up dropping it £100,then another £100 until it does seem like a bargain

So,all that said,I think you should keep it and stick some mud guards on it.
Because I think you would be disappointed not only with parting with it,but the price in which you did.
Been there with a Titanium bike,when I had to sell it for £375 under the asking price.
Another idea would be to break it down and sell it as parts,maybe a better way to get your money back

yep..i sold my Orange crush 1300 quid to buy the frame and build..for about 350..
i couldn't be bothered to ebay all the bits..but i would have got nearer 500 i guess

yep..i sold my Orange crush 1300 quid to buy the frame and build..for about 350..
i couldn't be bothered to ebay all the bits..but i would have got nearer 500 i guess

Incidentally @meta lon ,did you sell your Commencal,or were you just pondering it ?.
Having had a look at it,I personally wouldn't,as it looks like it has been built with a Do It All in mind.
But I know what it's like when you see something shinier later :laugh:

Top Bottom