Converting hardtail into a commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

razer17

I've recently bought a new full suspension bike, and I've been wondering what to do with my lovely Bird Zero. At first I considered selling it and keeping my road bike. But I've changed mind, I like that bike too much. So I'm getting rid of the roadie and converting my Zero into a rugged tourer.

Having ridden it to work I already know it's not much slower than my road bike, so i figure if I can drop some weight from it and get slicker tyres, I'll be well set. I'll also want to get a rigid fork.

So the point of the thread is, would this be easy go do? Any pitfalls I'm not thinking of, especially in regards to swapping in a rigid fork? Has anyone else here down something similar? Or do you think I'm going to ruin a good bike?

Salar

A fish out of water
URL]
kona.jpg

Quite easy. I did it to my Kona Hoss. Sold the front suspension fork and fitted a rigid fork from On One. Fitted slicks, changed the pedals added cheap bar ends with ergo grips.
I've still to fit the mudguards, rear rack and stem riser.

Salar

A fish out of water
Fitting the mudguards, when I get around to it gets rid of the not so good looking gap above the front tyre when fitting suspension corrected rigid forks.

I did re-consider fitting shorter forks but the bike is nice and responsive as shown, shorter forks would have thrown the geometry out.

speccy1

URL]
kona.jpg

Quite easy. I did it to my Kona Hoss. Sold the front suspension fork and fitted a rigid fork from On One. Fitted slicks, changed the pedals added cheap bar ends with ergo grips.
I've still to fit the mudguards, rear rack and stem riser.
What tyres are you using there? Look like Specialized summat or other.

I`m going to do exactly the same to my Cube hardtail. How much were the rigid forks? If you don`t mind me asking................

potsy

Rambler
I've recently bought a new full suspension bike, and I've been wondering what to do with my lovely Bird Zero. At first I considered selling it and keeping my road bike. But I've changed mind, I like that bike too much. So I'm getting rid of the roadie and converting my Zero into a rugged tourer.

Having ridden it to work I already know it's not much slower than my road bike, so i figure if I can drop some weight from it and get slicker tyres, I'll be well set. I'll also want to get a rigid fork.

So the point of the thread is, would this be easy go do? Any pitfalls I'm not thinking of, especially in regards to swapping in a rigid fork? Has anyone else here down something similar? Or do you think I'm going to ruin a good bike?
Might be worth just locking the front forks if you can, that and slick tyres should make quite a difference on road.

Salar

A fish out of water
What tyres are you using there? Look like Specialized summat or other.

I`m going to do exactly the same to my Cube hardtail. How much were the rigid forks? If you don`t mind me asking................

Tyres are Specialized 26x1.5 Nimbus. I paid approx £70 for the forks a few years ago, but they are now done to £50 at On One.

You'll probably also need Shimano disc brake fork adapters to mount your disc brakes, depending on which brakes you have.

speccy1

Tyres are Specialized 26x1.5 Nimbus. I paid approx £70 for the forks a few years ago, but they are now done to £50 at On One.

You'll probably also need Shimano disc brake fork adapters to mount your disc brakes, depending on which brakes you have.

Yes I do have Shimano hydraulic disks so will bear that in mind, that`s a good price too

I really really.......really would not like to see an aggressive HT as anything other than killing the trails on one.
So yes,you will kill a great trail bike

Levo-Lon

Guru
Make sure you get a ridgid fork that is about where the bike sits with sag if poss..

to short..very twitchy..to long and it will feel vague..
if you suspension fork is a 'say '140mm try and get a 120mm ridgid..and a 100mm if its 120mm
Bike will ride at optimum height
only my 2p

OP
OP
R

razer17

Might be worth just locking the front forks if you can, that and slick tyres should make quite a difference on road.
Going rigid would drop nearly a kilo of weight, plus it would make maintenance a lot easier, and reduce the risk of mechanical failures.
I really really.......really would not like to see an aggressive HT as anything other than killing the trails on one.
So yes,you will kill a great trail bike
On the other hand, my other options are letting it gather dust in my house, which is surely a sadder fate, or selling it on.
Make sure you get a ridgid fork that is about where the bike sits with sag if poss..

to short..very twitchy..to long and it will feel vague..
if you suspension fork is a 'say '140mm try and get a 120mm ridgid..and a 100mm if its 120mm
Bike will ride at optimum height
only my 2p
Yeah I was wondering what size fork I should get. How easy is it to replace a fork?

OP
OP
R

razer17

Well,you did ask ^_^
And yes,a bike hanging around not getting used is wrong,especially when someone else can enjoy it immensely.:thumbsup:
That's true ^_^. I guess seeing it used as a trail bike by someone else would be good too, but I'd probably want to sell it for more than anyone would pay because I do still like the bike.

Plus I'd still want to get rid of my roady, so if I did sell on the Bird and the road bike, I'd need to buy another bike again.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Pretty easy to do a fork change ,check you tube for a vid.
hopfully you have the easy type with sealed bearings and the cut bottom race bearing guide.

you may well need to cut the steerer tube But check your happy first..

Salar

A fish out of water
Straight forward to change a fork. Just make sure you measure steerer tube twice and cut once :smile:
A pipe cutter is ideal, but mine only literally scratched the surface on the steel steerer so I just marked the steerer all around and used masking tape as a guide and carefully used a fine hacksaw.

Top Bottom