Converting/improving s vintage folder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been told the Twenty doesn't have a proper ball race headset bearing, but a plain bush that can wear. Unless you've got a metalworking lathe in your workshop (I have) the Kingpin makes far more sense as a fixer-upper. None of those shopper bikes were built for speed, comfort or looks. They were just what your mum used to nip into town on.

sorry old chap but your wrong ,No need for a metalworking lathe, simply replace the plastic bushing with a 1" threadless headset, and as for "They were just what your mum used to nip into town on" wrong again my good man , they are so much more than that

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm impressed if you did that trip on a shopper bike! That's a fair old slog of a distance.

I went everywhere on that bike, in the school holidays I used to cycle from Willesden Junction to Welling , Kent to see my aunt. I didn’t have the sense to go straight through London I went via Kew, Wandsworth around the South Circular to Welling.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I've got this and I can't get on with it at all

1.jpg

Its only done about 150 metres from new.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I bought it because a couple of people in my street have got one and they get on fine with them. I just find the riding position too upright for me. I'll probably sell it I think.

Kell

Veteran
Lots of folders are very upright. The upright position is a bonus in situations like this as it gives you increased visibility over cars etc, as well as making you more visible too. They're designed to be city bikes - for pottering around and not for speed - as such, aero is not high on the list.

There are various things you can do to combat this, including bar ends, lay-back seatposts etc, but some of these options may impede the fold or put undue stress on the components.

Top Bottom