Converting/improving s vintage folder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robrinay

Apologies if this has already been done to death but I’m new here and haven’t found a similar thread. After buying and playing and selling on a number of different folders (Bickerton, Dahon, Moulton seperables (f frame and Pashley) I bought an old Raleigh folder.
I read this article on improving the Raleigh 20 folder and decided to have a go but gave up ‘at the first fence’ when I found the short wheelbase too uncomfortable for my 6’ plus height.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/raleigh-twenty.html
Has anyone here had a go at doing up a vintage folder?

Salar

A fish out of water
I upgraded and refurbished a Raleigh Twenty and tidied up an RSW 16.

On the Twenty I managed somehow to fit a rear derailleur, careful on the corners though! fitted new lightweight wheels, spread the forks etc
It wasn't a cheap conversion and I didn't really like it that much and got rid of it not long after I did all the work by selling it on / giving away parts.
I found the work was more challenging than doing up say and old "racer" It was easy enough to get parts etc.

If I was doing it again I would leave a Raleigh Twenty as original and not upgrade. I might consider having one again sometime, but not to upgrade.

I'm 6'-0" and was ok on it.

There is a forum dedicated to Twenty's,which you'll need to join to see most of the info but it has gone quiet recently. https://raleightwenty.webs.com/

The RSW16 was marmite, a heavy lump which I could and couldn't get on with it.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Not a folder, but a similar size bike, a Dawes Kingpin. There's a very active Raleigh Twenty and Kingpin FB group with lots of folks there that have done all sorts to their small wheel bikes.

Finished Bike 1.JPG

There's a ink to mine in my sig below.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think I remember the Mondrian colour scheme :smile:
Didn't know you were a cubist fan.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I had a Dawes Kingpin folder for a few weeks last year, I thought it would be another good project, I hated it,
1. It didn’t look as good as the none folder.
2. It didn’t ride as well.
3. The fold was rubbish.
4. It was bloody heavy and awkward to move when folded.

It had none of the charm of a small wheeler, and none of the convenience of a folder.

I sold it on made a fiver and was pleased to see the back of the feckin thing.

I’ve had a couple of R20s too, they’re not even close in build quality compared to a Dawes Kingpin.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've been told the Twenty doesn't have a proper ball race headset bearing, but a plain bush that can wear. Unless you've got a metalworking lathe in your workshop (I have) the Kingpin makes far more sense as a fixer-upper. None of those shopper bikes were built for speed, comfort or looks. They were just what your mum used to nip into town on.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I've been told the Twenty doesn't have a proper ball race headset bearing, but a plain bush that can wear. Unless you've got a metalworking lathe in your workshop (I have) the Kingpin makes far more sense as a fixer-upper. None of those shopper bikes were built for speed, comfort or looks. They were just what your mum used to nip into town on.

This is true, mine just had a plastic bush for the top bearing. I fitted a ballrace.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

Not quite right skippy old bean, they were quite a trendy bike back in the day, not cool though, I had one for five years as a teenager and went feckin every where on it, I even moved house on mine from Willesden to Chertsey at 14 ‘cos there was no room in the van.

Top Bottom