Converting road bike into TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crandoggler

So after failing to complete LEJOG this week due to an injury, I've decided that I'd like to have a little go at TT'ing.

I'm pretty good on the flat, so would like to have a go at some 10 mile TT routes.

Obviously I could do them in the drops, but to be honest I'd quite like to get as 'aero' as possible to maximise my speed.

Has anyone had a go at this? I've seen the generic websites and videos explaining what to change, but they don't really expand on what to expect from the bike.

I've managed to get a set of 60mm Carbon wheels for a bargain, so they can be fitted.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'd suggest just get a set of clip-on TT bars first. That way you can test it without having to change the shifters, etc.

That's what I did last year for several 10-50 mile TT's. This year I'm using (or was until I crashed on my MTB) this Principia I built over the winter:

DSCF4203_zpsicrkkvyu.jpg

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Obviously I could do them in the drops, but to be honest I'd quite like to get as 'aero' as possible to maximise my speed.

Has anyone had a go at this?

Yes, fairly cheaply too by adding clip-ons to my road bike. Initially that's all I did, then later I put on a shorter stem to tweak my position.

Then after a couple of seasons I bought a secondhand TT bike.

So after failing to complete LEJOG this week due to an injury, I've decided that I'd like to have a little go at TT'ing.

I'm pretty good on the flat, so would like to have a go at some 10 mile TT routes.

Has anyone had a go at this? I've seen the generic websites and videos explaining what to change, but they don't really expand on what to expect from the bike.

I've managed to get a set of 60mm Carbon wheels for a bargain, so they can be fitted.
8 Years Ago,
Bianchi.jpg

TT with the base set up
2 Years Ago (Clip Ons, Disc Cover, Deep Section Front)
21908_10152976244714482_1966098956011740574_n.jpg

A TT with this set up

A few weeks (actual change was 10 months ago, TT bars, Track stem and Fast Forward Forward seat post shoe covers and fit, and Ive ditched the TT Helmet, pb was without it)
12977083_10153702794409482_1587970258780960834_o.jpg

FB_IMG_1463090507518.jpg

TT With this set up. I suspect only some of the improvement can be attributed to the set up, with the same set up on Thursday I was only 26.52.

Pre Fit
PCC TT.jpg

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I rode my first t
Did you have to make any rash adjustments to the saddle and stem height?

I didn't, initially. After a while I wanted to shorten the reach so I put a shorter stem on. When I returned it to standard road bike use I continued with the short stem (and preferred it- it was probably a bit reach-y to begin with)

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
A TT bike but by changing the stem and removing spacers you can get quite a bit lower on the front end .

003_zpsinb9ieb1.jpg

27085750341_88305cffcf_z.jpg

27257454436_5f8b4fea5b_z.jpg
27257454436_5f8b4fea5b_z.jpg

Last edited:

iggibizzle

At the moment I'm just using a giant defy with clip ons. I move the saddle forward 1cm for use in tt on the aero bars. Just slide it back 1cm for general riding.

iggibizzle

Does the job for now. Looking for a tt bike , but might just get some more aero rims to put on for tts. See what pops up 2nd hand

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 139

iggibizzle

8 Years Ago,
View attachment 129182
TT with the base set up
2 Years Ago (Clip Ons, Disc Cover, Deep Section Front)
View attachment 129191
A TT with this set up

A few weeks (actual change was 10 months ago, TT bars, Track stem and Fast Forward Forward seat post shoe covers and fit, and Ive ditched the TT Helmet, pb was without it)
View attachment 129189

View attachment 129187

TT With this set up. I suspect only some of the improvement can be attributed to the set up, with the same set up on Thursday I was only 26.52.

Pre Fit
View attachment 129184

Great to see something evolve like that Might just buy another road bike myself, and put full tt bars on it. A more aggressive frame than my defy tho.

Great to see something evolve like that Might just buy another road bike myself, and put full tt bars on it. A more aggressive frame than my defy tho.
Thats not the most aggressive frame as the last picture shows (pre fit) its similar the defy I think (a Sportive Frame/ tall headtube) but the fit added a downwards pointing track stem and its a we bit more aggressive now! :okay:

iggibizzle

Thats not the most aggressive frame as the last picture shows (pre fit) its similar the defy I think (a Sportive Frame/ tall headtube) but the fit added a downwards pointing track stem and its a we bit more aggressive now! :okay:
Looks a bit less upright that the defy. Bit smaller head tube. What helmet have you gone back to using? I am looking for an aero one but one that I can still use on normal rides. A giro air attack for example. Not a full ufo one :laugh:

iggibizzle

Just watched the cycling weekly video on the savings of a tt helmet over a normal road. 45 seconds per hour @25mph. Not worth changing for now in my case :laugh:

Top Bottom