Converting road bike into TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
All these things add up to get you and keep you at that speed though . Pointy helmet , skin suit , over shoes etc .
What size frame are you after just in case anyone see's a bargain ?

iggibizzle

I'm a medium frame. About 54cm max. So anything around there. Watching a few on eBay. Yes I'm gonna start with some overshoes and maybe skinsuit soon . Tt tonight so testing out my new (improved hopefully) position! Can tell slight tweaks make a difference. So look out for an update in the tt pb thread. I hope!! :laugh:

Looks a bit less upright that the defy. Bit smaller head tube. What helmet have you gone back to using? I am looking for an aero one but one that I can still use on normal rides. A giro attack for example. Not a full ufo one :laugh:

Im using the kask Infinity you see in the last pic. I bought it for the same reason vent up and its a well ventilated Road helmet, vent down its aero :-) Tried the UFO one this season and didn't get on with it. On hindsight maybe i should have bought something in between like a kask bambino :-D

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
A TT bike but by changing the stem and removing spacers you can get quite a bit lower on the front end .

003_zpsinb9ieb1.jpg

27085750341_88305cffcf_z.jpg

27257454436_5f8b4fea5b_z.jpg
[/IMG]
27257454436_5f8b4fea5b_z.jpg

Just added a -40* stem to get lower on the front . On loan to try so why not !
Regarding the back pains some suffer . I was out for a club ride last night on the road bike and feel it more today than i do being totally slammed on the TT bike .
Maybe by going lower you take more pressure off your back by using the arm rests ? Just throwing it into the mix .

iggibizzle

Well was looking at tt bikes. Bit out of my budget for now. Plus the ones that are cheaper seem to have awful wheels. So picked this up locally cheap and came with the tri bars. Gonna get some aero rims for it, (already got some better none aero to put on until I find some). Will get the stem as low as poss. Maybe even full tt bars later. And get a fwd seat post, and use this until next year. Sick of moving my defy seat about and losing my perfect long distance position. Plus it's a little bit of a project :becool:

C7FA3698-2727-48B9-894B-A5E817828870_zps4icmpfwc.jpg

Tin Pot

Guru
So after failing to complete LEJOG this week due to an injury, I've decided that I'd like to have a little go at TT'ing.

I'm pretty good on the flat, so would like to have a go at some 10 mile TT routes.

Obviously I could do them in the drops, but to be honest I'd quite like to get as 'aero' as possible to maximise my speed.

Has anyone had a go at this? I've seen the generic websites and videos explaining what to change, but they don't really expand on what to expect from the bike.

I've managed to get a set of 60mm Carbon wheels for a bargain, so they can be fitted.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tps-cinelli-experience-tri-conversion.195947/

Yes.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
8 Years Ago,
View attachment 129182
TT with the base set up
2 Years Ago (Clip Ons, Disc Cover, Deep Section Front)
View attachment 129191
A TT with this set up

A few weeks (actual change was 10 months ago, TT bars, Track stem and Fast Forward Forward seat post shoe covers and fit, and Ive ditched the TT Helmet, pb was without it)
View attachment 129189

View attachment 129187

TT With this set up. I suspect only some of the improvement can be attributed to the set up, with the same set up on Thursday I was only 26.52.

Pre Fit
View attachment 129184
When I was still racing wheel covers were banned by the RTTC. I assume that has now changed?

iggibizzle

Well phase 1 complete. Stem slammed as far as poss. Seat as far as it will go forward. Had the wheels knocking around. From the 1st ride I've just done on it, my heart rate seems about 10-15bpm lower at at 20-23mph over my defy with aero bars. Could do with some aero rims and a forward seat post but overall it seems promising. And it was dirt cheap :laugh:

383ABE69-35E0-42F4-AA00-D2FE3F21411D_zpsdwnxwzwv.jpg

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
A few ideas and i don't know if they will work or if you even want to do it but ..... Turn the seat post around to get further forward . Cut the bottom spacer down and add the offcut to the top . Flip the stem . Get an undermount fitting for the tribars . Repoint your wall properly .

iggibizzle

The wall is just a knackered old thing at work :laugh: yes tried the Seatpost but it doesn't go flat in other direction. Will give it a proper test over weekend. Then tt on it on Tuesday see if there is any good difference :smile:

OP
OP
Crandoggler

Crandoggler

Well! Today I had a go at a local TT. 9 miles, not the standard 10. I did it on my completely non modified position aluminium road bike.

The time? 24:52. Not bad I didn't think! Wind was horrible on the return leg and I was unsure of a where it actually started and ended. But still! Really enjoyed it and imagine I would have gone faster if there were other people racing.

Top Bottom