Converting to rigid fork.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I need some help. I want to convert my 1997 front suspension Trek 970 to a rigid fork. I use it as a commuter and occasional tourer. Obviously I want to do this on the cheap, as despite it being much loved, it is not exactly worth spending a huge amount on.

It is the same as this:

T2eC16NHJHEE9ny2qTvCBQh79F4ww60_12_zps35de6963.jpg

Now the big question, what would be the effect of not having a suspension correct fork? Is it really that important? I assume the front end will just be a inch lower, or is there more to consider?

I was looking at getting one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391580837203

Ideally axle to crown length should be the same or a bit less on the rigid once you allow for fork sag. Is your headset 11/8th, a lot of them were 1" on earlier bikes, so check that.

If you don't get it exactly the same height then every 20mm height difference will equate to about 1 degree difference in the head angle. It would have to be quite different I would suggest for you to be able to tell. There are other things like fork rake but that shouldn't be radically different.

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Ideally axle to crown length should be the same or a bit less on the rigid once you allow for fork sag. Is your headset 11/8th, a lot of them were 1" on earlier bikes, so check that.

If you don't get it exactly the same height then every 20mm height difference will equate to about 1 degree difference in the head angle. It would have to be quite different I would suggest for you to be able to tell. There are other things like fork rake but that shouldn't be radically different.

Unfortunately all the sellers are not able/willing to give me the A-C measurement. Even trying to find out if it is 1 1/8th and threaded or unthreaded is tricky.

The fork I linked to looks threaded in the bad picture, but the text says 1 1/8th Ahead without thread.

clockworksimon

Über Member
May be cheaper to get a cheap second hand rigid fork MTB and scavenge the forks. Something like an old Hardrock. Obviously need to check if it's an aheadset, the headset size and it's not a smaller frame/shorter head tube.

Might even work out better to sell yours and get a second hand 90's rigid bike. You could end up evens money wise.

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
May be cheaper to get a cheap second hand rigid fork MTB and scavenge the forks. Something like an old Hardrock. Obviously need to check if it's an aheadset, the headset size and it's not a smaller frame/shorter head tube.

Might even work out better to sell yours and get a second hand 90's rigid bike. You could end up evens money wise.

That could be an idea. I won't be selling mine, we have been through too much together, but finding a suitable donor is sounds worthwhile.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I did this on a '97 Marin Hawk Hill a while ago. The RST bouncy forks were quite long, around 455mm axle to crown. Like you I didn't want to spend a lot on a new pair of rigid forks, and all the cheap ones seemed to be 395mm axle-crown, which is a big difference! Fork rake seems to be much more consistant, around 50mm for everything.

I ended up getting a fork off of retrobike from a similar age Marin. It was a bit shorter at 425mm axle-crown, and I did worry this would upset the handling, but I honestly couldn't tell the difference when I made the swap (well obviously rock gardens were a bit more interesting without the bouncy fork!).

In theory a shorter fork will make the handling sharper/twitchier. If that doesn't sound like a bad thing, and you don't worry much about going over the bars on any of the routes you intend to use the bike for, I'd give the cheap forks a go and see how you get on.

I'm really pleased with my rigid conversion, it's great fun to ride. Looks like your Trek would make a cracking rigid bike too.

clockworksimon

Über Member
That could be an idea. I won't be selling mine, we have been through too much together, but finding a suitable donor is sounds worthwhile.
Know what you mean about the old bike. Broke a rear dropout last year on my 1994 Orange and went through the dilemma of whether it was worth fixing. Looked at lots of cheap second hand bikes which were fine but got the frame repaired in the end. Me and the bike have lots of history together. Glad I did this.

If you really like the old bike and will use it a lot maybe it's worth paying for decent new rigid forks rather than messing about?

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Well I ordered the cheap fork that I linked above. Worse case I will lob it in the spares box or sell it on. My A-C measurement is almost 500mm, so certainly it is going to be lower. I don't go properly off-road on it, so hopefully I won't kill myself.

Well I ordered the cheap fork that I linked above. Worse case I will lob it in the spares box or sell it on. My A-C measurement is almost 500mm, so certainly it is going to be lower. I don't go properly off-road on it, so hopefully I won't kill myself.
Or use it for wheel truing.

ChrisEyles

Guru
If the fork is loads shorter than the current sus fork, you might end up with a slight downward slope to the top tube of the frame - which looks bad-ass!

The only thing I'd watch would be steep descents off-road, as the over-the-bars risk will be a bit higher.

Top Bottom