Converting to rigid fork.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salar

A fish out of water
Plenty on On One branded rigid forks on Planet X, many of which are suspension corrected.

I did my Kona with On Ones, straightforward job and sold the suspension forks to cover the costs.

kona.jpg

One day I'll put the mudguards on!

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Fork arrived and I have semi fitted it. There is a difference of 95mm in the axle to crown measurement which it quite a lot. It does not seem too twitchy though, which could be down to my long stem. I am going to try a huge stack of spacers to get the bars higher, but am worried that the already too short top tube is going to end up even shorter.

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A huge stack of spacers later and I am left with this. A monstrosity, but I think functional. Now I need to fine tune the height, top off the steerer tube and refit the front mudguard.

20170419_163021042_iOS.jpg

ChrisEyles

Guru
Wow - that would be pretty racy looking with the stem slammed!! I like it, looks like a solid workhorse do-it-all sort of bike :smile:

Might be worth checking with someone who knows their stuff (I don't) if it's structurally sound having that many spacers under the bars from a leverage point of view, but I guess if you're not doing crazy off-road stuff on it it's not a biggie.

I'm curious though - can you feel much difference in the handling after the swap?

It looks OK. If it feels OK, job's a good un. Don't forget, suspension sag on the old forks will make the difference less than 95mm. That amount od spacers is nothing in comparison to Thorn Sherpas.

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
That's a lot of exposed seat post. How much is still in the frame?

It is a 600mm seatpost, so plenty left. It is my first proper MTB before I stopped growing, so I have always done my best to keep it going. The Trek is one of the last steel frames still made in the USA, most of the components are original and the ones I have had to swap out are safely stored in case I want to go back to its original setup.

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'm curious though - can you feel much difference in the handling after the swap?

It is really not too bad. I think the long stem helps. I will mess around with the spacers until I have got a good balance between all day comfort and efficiency.

Top Bottom