Cooking fried rice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Just 2 other tips. If for health reasons you are asked to reduce or eliminate salt (no soy sauce). Just increase the cooking of the onion and the ginger/garlic paste and that enhances the flavour.

As @CanucksTraveller pointed out, add sambal to taste before or after cooking of those looking of savoury or spicy flavour. . Sambal is Malay / Indonesian in origin and not Chinese but it adds to taste. Start with half a table spoon as some can be fiery.

I could not find it in Tesco but Chinese Asian groceries have them. Indian Groceries do not carry them. Do remember sweet chilli sauce is not the right sauce including Sriracha Chilli sauce. Do also note that there are hundreds of variety of sambal. Sambal means paste or chilli sauce in Malay. It more paste than sauce.

1638228296108.png

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It tracks though - the Chinese are great advocates of snout-to-tail cookery, so they'd use every scrap of the pig, including the fat.
Or as my ex father in law used to say 'We eat all of the duck apart from the quack" (the beak).

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

My Chinese cooking jumped up to another level when I swapped oil for lard. It just tastes so much nicer. Beef dripping is OK in a pinch as well, but lard works better for stir fries and the like.

It tracks though - the Chinese are great advocates of snout-to-tail cookery, so they'd use every scrap of the pig, including the fat.
Yep, the whole chicken as well is consumed including the feet and the feathers go into their pillows.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I make my egg fried rice according to a rather ancient cookbook called "How to Cook and Eat in Chinese" written by a lady called Buwei Yang Chao, originally published in 1945. It's as authentic as you're going to get.

All you need is a good dollop of lard, a large sliced onion, two or three eggs, salt and cooked rice.

Melt the lard in a large pan, chuck in the onion and fry until soft, then add the eggs and stir fry. When the eggs are set, add the rice and keep moving around the pan till piping hot. Season with salt to taste.

That's all there is to a really excellent fried rice. The secret is in using lard and not oil, as it has so much more flavour.

Try it with bacon grease , even nicer . Especially when served with a pork or chicken dish.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Like @Landsurfer I tend to use those bags that go in the micro for 2 minutes.
I wonder if you can add egg to one of those??

figbat

Slippery scientist
Just 2 other tips. If for health reasons you are asked to reduce or eliminate salt (no soy sauce). Just increase the cooking of the onion and the ginger/garlic paste and that enhances the flavour.

As @CanucksTraveller pointed out, add sambal to taste before or after cooking of those looking of savoury or spicy flavour. . Sambal is Malay / Indonesian in origin and not Chinese but it adds to taste. Start with half a table spoon as some can be fiery.

I could not find it in Tesco but Chinese Asian groceries have them. Indian Groceries do not carry them. Do remember sweet chilli sauce is not the right sauce including Sriracha Chilli sauce. Do also note that there are hundreds of variety of sambal. Sambal means paste or chilli sauce in Malay. It more paste than sauce.

View attachment 620012
On behalf of a friend who started up a Malaysian food business a couple of years ago, try www.makanmalaysia.co.uk for sambal (and other fantastic Malaysian offers).

Top Bottom