Cooking fried rice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here is a simple guide to cooking fried. Feel free to throw in your own version so there is wider choice to try and experiment.

Note all ingredients are from Tesco. So no need to look for Asian groceries.

I am keeping the ingredients basic so more would give it ago.
1. Cooking oil -£1.09 . 3 table spoons into a heated wok. Low heat
1638141133011.png

2. Thai rice or Jasmine variety, you get this at Tesco for £2.80 per kg pack and it is a well regarded brand in South East Asia. There are cheaper brands of Jasmine. Basmati is meant for Briyani so rice variety makes a difference. 2 bowls of cooked rice or left over rice is fine.
1638140468376.png

3. Red Onions - probably the most important as much of the aroma and taste comes from this. Half a large sized onion, diced small. Cook slow until it is caramelised.
1638140749023.png

4. Ginger and garlic paste. £1.25 per bottle. Place a table spoon of it just as the onions are cooked and before they caramelised. About 2 minutes of frying the onions on low heat, turn to medium heat and place the paste.
1638140917125.png

5. Mixed veg - use a large cupful or two. Thoroughly thawed. To be placed in the wok once the onions and ginger / garlic paste are done. First hint of burnt smell is the sign to throw in the veg.
1638141480569.png

6. 2 large eggs.
1638141736975.png

Once the onions, ginger/ garlic paste and mixed veg are ready, 5 minutes after you first put oil in the heated pan, dump the 2 bowls of cooked rice into the wok. Turn on the heat to high. Stir thoroughly for a minute.

7. Light Soy Sauce - £2 as Tesco, You can get cheaper ones at Tesco.
1638142366934.png

Add Soy Sauce about 3 spoonful.

Push the rice to one side, put a bit of oil in the wok and crack 2 eggs over it . Mixed the yolk and white thoroughly and wait for 30 secs. Now start placing the rice over the eggs until it covers the eggs. Wait another 30 secs and then start stirring the rice and the eggs until they are thoroughly mixed.

Keep cooking on high heat for another 3 minutes. Every 30 secs stir and mix it thoroughly.

If you cook a large batch, keep the remainder the fridge for the next 2 to 3 days.

I make my egg fried rice according to a rather ancient cookbook called "How to Cook and Eat in Chinese" written by a lady called Buwei Yang Chao, originally published in 1945. It's as authentic as you're going to get.

All you need is a good dollop of lard, a large sliced onion, two or three eggs, salt and cooked rice.

Melt the lard in a large pan, chuck in the onion and fry until soft, then add the eggs and stir fry. When the eggs are set, add the rice and keep moving around the pan till piping hot. Season with salt to taste.

That's all there is to a really excellent fried rice. The secret is in using lard and not oil, as it has so much more flavour.

Chief Broom

Veteran
I ad lib much of my cooking and instead of eggs will use quorn [chicken style pieces] when fried will put ginger/garlic in then soya and chilli and then let it sit off the heat. Will add to rice and veg and stir in. Maybe not a 'classic' fried rice but tasty :okay:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I season two eggs with soy sauce and fry them in the wok while breaking them up, then turn out once set. Then some finely diced shallot fried for just half a minute, then in with the rice, day old leftover rice only, doesnt matter to me if it's basmati or jasmine as they both work, and stir fry for a couple of minutes. Finally I drizzle in a seasoning sauce made from 2tbsp soy sauce, 1tbps of oyster sauce, and a tsp of sambal oelek, and toss for another couple of minutes until it's all evenly browning, adding in the egg and some finely sliced sping onion greens at the end.
20200710_171045.jpg

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am now confused.
Do I put pre cooked or raw rice into the fry pan/wok ?

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

I make my egg fried rice according to a rather ancient cookbook called "How to Cook and Eat in Chinese" written by a lady called Buwei Yang Chao, originally published in 1945. It's as authentic as you're going to get.

All you need is a good dollop of lard, a large sliced onion, two or three eggs, salt and cooked rice.

Melt the lard in a large pan, chuck in the onion and fry until soft, then add the eggs and stir fry. When the eggs are set, add the rice and keep moving around the pan till piping hot. Season with salt to taste.

That's all there is to a really excellent fried rice. The secret is in using lard and not oil, as it has so much more flavour.
If you are South East Asia, you will see hawkers of Chinese origin have a bowl of lard next to the wok. Lard is used extensively across many dishes. It does provide a unique and tasty flavour.

If you are South East Asia, you will see hawkers of Chinese origin have a bowl of lard next to the wok. Lard is used extensively across many dishes. It does provide a unique and tasty flavour.

My Chinese cooking jumped up to another level when I swapped oil for lard. It just tastes so much nicer. Beef dripping is OK in a pinch as well, but lard works better for stir fries and the like.

It tracks though - the Chinese are great advocates of snout-to-tail cookery, so they'd use every scrap of the pig, including the fat.

Top Bottom