cooking gear for UK camping..who needs it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rollinstok

rollinstok

Wow, impressive. To think of all those times I went without my morning brew...never again.

jjb

Über Member
its a simple trade off - do you want it enough to carry it
Wise words. I was applying the ultralight philosophy last tour, no cooking gear, but I did buy a big heavy melon one day in some hot weather. I hit the bubblewrap landscape shortly after and had doubts about the wisdom of that melon purchase. It must've been 2 kilograms. But at the top of a hill, where I found a picnic bench under a shading tree, along with a water pump to rinse my hands, it seemed like the best two kilograms ever!

Of course, once you eat it the weight doesn't count.

Bodhbh

Guru
I've not bothered with it (yet), seems too much faff. Personally, after being out all day I either like to go out for a hot meal and a few pints, a wander into town and grab kebab, whatever. If I'm gonna end up somewhere more remote/the weather is nice/no money, I'd get some bread and cheese, a bottle of wine etc. Outside the UK I'll like to try out all the local stuff anyway. I'll will admit it's not great in the morning, packing up without a cup of tea and maybe having to do a few miles before getting breakfast and a cuppa...but you can't have everything.

MarkF

Guru
I bought cooking gear for my first trip, sold it on Ebay when I got back. The minimalist touring guy's site has a lot to answer for, for me it was weight and space, plus I have found that I have no need/desire for hot food or a hot drink in the morning.

OP
OP
rollinstok

rollinstok

I've not bothered with it (yet), seems too much faff. Personally, after being out all day I either like to go out for a hot meal and a few pints, a wander into town and grab kebab, whatever. If I'm gonna end up somewhere more remote/the weather is nice/no money, I'd get some bread and cheese, a bottle of wine etc. Outside the UK I'll like to try out all the local stuff anyway. I'll will admit it's not great in the morning, packing up without a cup of tea and maybe having to do a few miles before getting breakfast and a cuppa...but you can't have everything.

Those words express my own thoughts entirely... you just described exactly what I always did.
I,m getting on a bit now though and am considering a basic set up to provide a little luxury for my aching bones
The reasons for the post were to get some opinions and provide "food for thought" pardon the pun
psmiffy has more or less convinced me to find those front panniers ( think they are in my sons garage ) and shop for a decent stove... it must be worth dropping a gear for ? I dont get anywhere fast anyway

Herbie

Veteran
I never leave home without the means to make a cup of coffee much less go on a cycle tour without having the gear to cook.

true there are always places you can get a meal as you go along - however not when I want it, not what i want, not the quality i want nor the quantatity i want.

I find it so much better and more convienient to buy good stuff as i go along during the day and cook a good satisfying meal in the evening when i stop

for more of my rationale see below page 18

I'm with you psmiffy :thumbsup:

fimm

Veteran
And if, like me, your idea of fun is to camp somewhere a day's walk from the nearest road, you might find the stove useful...

Sara_H

Guru
In answer to the OP, nothing gets done EVER until I've had a cup of coffee.

OP
OP
rollinstok

rollinstok

And if, like me, your idea of fun is to camp somewhere a day's walk from the nearest road, you might find the stove useful...

I agree, when I used to backpack I always took a stove and often camped wild.
With the bike though, its almost always camp sites and distance is much less of an issue.

lpretro1

Never faraway from a hot meal - you've not been to the Isles or norterhn Scotland then?! Cafes few and far between especially on Lewis and the north coast of mainland Scotland! My stove was a 'must have' especially on the poor weather days when a hot brew was very, very welcome. My stove weighs a mere 80g plus the little gas canister. Lightweight alu pots are grams only too and a 'spork' does the job of knife, fork and spoon. A bit of thought about lightweight but nutritious food and you're sorted. Packet soups weigh nothing and you can use them to flavour whatever you are cooking. My favourite is noodles with a chicken soup and dollops of smoked cheese. Water not a problem - I always carry two bottles on the bike when touring - one with carbo drink and one plain water. Just keep water one topped up. You can make a wind-stopper with kitchen foil! Luxury!

Bodhbh

Guru
Those words express my own thoughts entirely... you just described exactly what I always did.
I,m getting on a bit now though and am considering a basic set up to provide a little luxury for my aching bones
The reasons for the post were to get some opinions and provide "food for thought" pardon the pun
psmiffy has more or less convinced me to find those front panniers ( think they are in my sons garage ) and shop for a decent stove... it must be worth dropping a gear for ? I dont get anywhere fast anyway

It's never really been about the weight for me, just never felt strongly enough about it to bother. Although, one point shaping things is my tent is a 1man coffin thing I orginally bought for hiking, and it's not really good for relaxing and eating-in except as a last resort. When I get around to getting a new tent, I'll probably get something fairly generously sized and start experimenting with the cooking gear.

OP
OP
rollinstok

rollinstok

It's never really been about the weight for me, just never felt strongly enough about it to bother. Although, one point shaping things is my tent is a 1man coffin thing I orginally bought for hiking, and it's not really good for relaxing and eating-in except as a last resort. When I get around to getting a new tent, I'll probably get something fairly generously sized and start experimenting with the cooking gear.

Is it an MSR ? I used to have one... try a Salewa Micra, very light and loads of room for one, easy to sit up and look out.

OP
OP
rollinstok

rollinstok

Never faraway from a hot meal - you've not been to the Isles or norterhn Scotland then?! Cafes few and far between especially on Lewis and the north coast of mainland Scotland! My stove was a 'must have' especially on the poor weather days when a hot brew was very, very welcome. My stove weighs a mere 80g plus the little gas canister. Lightweight alu pots are grams only too and a 'spork' does the job of knife, fork and spoon. A bit of thought about lightweight but nutritious food and you're sorted. Packet soups weigh nothing and you can use them to flavour whatever you are cooking. My favourite is noodles with a chicken soup and dollops of smoked cheese. Water not a problem - I always carry two bottles on the bike when touring - one with carbo drink and one plain water. Just keep water one topped up. You can make a wind-stopper with kitchen foil! Luxury!

No, I didnt stray into those uncivilised areas :B) A man on a bike has no chance against the spear and sword wielding wild scots.

Top Bottom