Cooking pot query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
For donkey's years I have used a single titanium pot - for breakfast I boil water containing a tin of fish (kippers usually) in it then tip the hot water into a bright yellow plastic pint mug containing a chocolate bar and a load of porridge oats, and the rest goes over real ground coffee in a holder (Ortlieb do good ones) for a paper coffee filter. Hence no washing up, hot kippers, porridge & chocolate, plus Real Coffee. Did I say no washing up?
But on a recent trip I saw someone with something I couldn't resist buying so I ordered it on the interwebs and it was waiting for me when I got home. Does the food taste any better? Nah.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Nice multi-tasking there
It gets easier using a Trangia rather than gas (which I feel needs to be watched). I have a Swedish ex-army Trangia, and you can set it up in the corner of your pitch, go and have a shower, take down the tent and pack it, then breakfast is ready to prepare and eat.
For dinners I have lived on pasta for so many trips i now dislike it intensely so opt for the one-pot boiling water then mashed potato powder, with a clove of garlic and some cheese melted in. Yum. Also tin of tuna, or some cold meat such a ham.
Lunch was one a sandwich and a biscuit, now it's two or three sandwiches and a whole packet of biscuits.

Nice post mmmartin. Yes i think there are rather a lot of too clever by half cooking and eating things for the designer camper. Bought a few myself. In truth of course it's all very simple and you can get much of what you need at aldi, lidl, decathlon, your own kitchen cupboard.

hoopdriver

Guru
There's also this, with a kind of heat exchanger thing on the bottom.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/oex-sola-x-cookset-p362177

I found something very similar/actually more useful in TK Maxx
Thanks for the links!

:smile:
Yes i'd avoid anything titanium. Can't see any point in it unless you are the offspring of a nerd and a snob. Some folk use titanium sporks i think and get oh so terribly excited about them. I well remember a shocked/bemused friend turning to me at the dunwich dynamo gathering and whispering "there's a bunch of people over there talking about cutlery". I think they were from a certain other cycling place.

Many of us with dual nationality have a long tradition of spork pr0n and cutlery-related in-jokes. It may not do to take it _entirely_ seriously...

And anyway, 'I want to spork them in the eye!' is such a perfect expression of rage. Obviously one would have to use folding ti, or perhaps a classic LMF.

Bodhbh

Guru
Yes i'd avoid anything titanium. Can't see any point in it unless you are the offspring of a nerd and a snob. Some folk use titanium sporks i think and get oh so terribly excited about them. I well remember a shocked/bemused friend turning to me at the dunwich dynamo gathering and whispering "there's a bunch of people over there talking about cutlery".

Some of us nerd over Ti cutlery as we can never afford a Ti bike ! I have some Ti tent pegs too....:whistle:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Had a quick Google and bare aluminium was linked to Alzheimer's in the seventies. It seems to now be not the case according to some. The US Alzheimer society for one.

This was 100% debunked a good while ago , the aluminium salts came from the preservatives used also the results failed to reproduced anyway.

It does sadden me a little that things like this including the false autism and MMR connection seem to take forever to disappear .

Top Bottom