Cooking pot query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Had a quick Google and bare aluminium was linked to Alzheimer's in the seventies. It seems to now be not the case according to some.
Still doesn't seem the cleverest thing to be eating, so I prefer to minimise my exposure. I'd rather cook on a less reactive surface which doesn't get into the food so readily - there are people above saying they won't cook on non-stick because bits might flake off if it gets damaged, but an aluminium pan doesn't even need to be damaged to get in the food.

Aluminium is a very reactive metal. The main reason it's stable in air is that the surface corrodes very quickly and forms a barrier.

I've got Trangia non stick pans. The coating has stayed on them. Packed as part of the kit is a plastic dough scraper and a cut off wooden spoon which all fits in the Trangia. I find it far more convenient than scrubbing the beejeezus out of a Trangia pan. The coating on the fry pan survived me dropping my rucksack 200ft down a cliff and then hammering the pan back into shape.

Yes, non-stick is a non-starter. I use Tatonka gear and it's bombproof. Zebra billy cans are also great. Titanium is good for prizing open any wallet....
:smile:
Yes i'd avoid anything titanium. Can't see any point in it unless you are the offspring of a nerd and a snob. Some folk use titanium sporks i think and get oh so terribly excited about them. I well remember a shocked/bemused friend turning to me at the dunwich dynamo gathering and whispering "there's a bunch of people over there talking about cutlery". I think they were from a certain other cycling place.

I use a trangia alloy set - 20years old and still shiny and clean - as soon as the temperature cools off here - 36°- I'm going to cook my steak, new pots and perotts using it

Wire handles are rubbish - get a pan lifter
Yes i'd consider a trangia pan. I prefer to use their nice aluminium plate as a lid instead of the frying pan. I have even taken to using their small 1 litre pan at home, freed from the italian dogma that you need to use a bathful of water and boil like fury for pasta.

hoopdriver

Guru
Better still, don't burn the dinner! :smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
:smile:
Yes i'd avoid anything titanium. Can't see any point in it unless you are the offspring of a nerd and a snob. Some folk use titanium sporks i think and get oh so terribly excited about them. I well remember a shocked/bemused friend turning to me at the dunwich dynamo gathering and whispering "there's a bunch of people over there talking about cutlery". I think they were from a certain other cycling place.
I have the Alpkit Myti 600mm mug and a ti spork, along with my pocket stove and esbit blocks they make a very light and compact cookset for when weight and space is a premium. Works a treat. On other occasions when weight and space are not the issue I use one if my Trangia sets. It's horses for courses. Nerdiness maybe but not snobbery....

Something like this might be a goer

https://www.gaynors.co.uk/brands/al...roductsearch&gclid=CL-ykqrRztQCFWoz0wodKF8LJg

Though not that one. It's a pretty standard design.

Available under many many brands and doubless churned out by the million in china.

Often on sale for between £10 and £15.

I got one for a fiver.

Hard anodised.

I use it as a kettle on a gas stove.

Tends to come in a drawstring bag and i fit two cups inside mine (one fir tea/beer/wine, the smaller for espresso) and there is more space inside my smaller cup for other bits and bobs.

Top Bottom