COP 26 Glasgow, anyone else attending??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
You'd best not get up to any 'rabbling' mind

Although, I'd imagine Pat could keep good order, of any crowd :okay:
You would be right. :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not sure why anyone's bothering. The American's certainly arent taking it seriously.

Yesterday the House Science Committee approved $4 billion for infrastructure, mainly repairs to NASA's ageing estate, and upgrades to bring itnto modern standards.

At the same time they appeoved $388 million, less than a tenth approved for patching up the buildings, for climate change research projects.

The UN throughout its history has been good at talking (often patent bollards) when action is required, and its nice to see they're carrying on the tradition. Meanwhile the entities that do have to power to act are placing more than 10 times greater priority on refurbishing buildings than it does to climate change.

We're borked. Its happening, its coming, and wishful thinking isn't helping. Instead of wringing its hands ineffectually perhaps the UN could encourage the delegates to act to prepare for the worst, to adapt to the iniveitable.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm not sure why anyone's bothering. The American's certainly arent taking it seriously.

Yesterday the House Science Committee approved $4 billion for infrastructure, mainly repairs to NASA's ageing estate, and upgrades to bring itnto modern standards.

At the same time they appeoved $388 million, less than a tenth approved for patching up the buildings, for climate change research projects.

The UN throughout its history has been good at talking (often patent bollards) when action is required, and its nice to see they're carrying on the tradition. Meanwhile the entities that do have to power to act are placing more than 10 times greater priority on refurbishing buildings than it does to climate change.

We're borked. Its happening, its coming, and wishful thinking isn't helping. Instead of wringing its hands ineffectually perhaps the UN could
encourage the delegates to act to prepare for the worst, to adapt to the iniveitable.

Indeed the can has been kicked down the road for way too long, cheered on by those who are, or were resistant to change..

Since way before many 'mainstream' sorts gave much of a stuff, about these things.

In fact for many years us 'green' types were derided for 'going on' about pollution, climate change, loss of species, desertification etc etc.

Laughed at for being tree huggers or eco-warriors or lefty sandal wearing lentil munchers - whatever

"Why don't they get a job"

(fwiw i've always had a job even when involved in direct actions)

But no the big burly guys with their gas guzzling vehicles, and energy profligate industries. and extractive capitalism were king.

Scientists warning of all this happening - were making it all up for some reason ??
The oil corps assured everyone - just a fuss about nothing.

Us environmentalists were the 'dumb' ones right.??

encourage the delegates to act to prepare for the worst, to adapt to the iniveitable.

This is partly what the whole shebang is about - surely no one would imagine this hasn't already been thought about too.?

This is why some of us are 'bothering'

Particularly in the side events organised by social and environmentally concerned delegates and groups - we will be networking among ourselves - in addition to lobbying at the 'main event'.

Many of us have been campaigning for climate change adaptation, in addition to amelioration, and climate justice, for a long time .

Some of us are proposing solutions in terms of better land use and farming for example - techniques for carbon sequestration , and soil building - crop resilience - and good food production alongside all of that - techniques for transitioning to lower carbon lifestyles.

Other people have other solutions.

Many of us have been practitioners of such things for years - and often laughed at as being unrealistic - 'not living in the real world' - called all sorts of names - but you get used to it in the end.

Turns out we were fully embedded in 'the real world' .

Some progress has been made - but for sure not enough - we could all do a lot better - governments needed to get on board sooner with enabling this transition - but what sort of governments were people voting for - ones who only cared about endless capital growth - and a five year term.

I'd still, much rather wake up tomorrow and find out that climate change and mass extinctions are all a 'hoax' - i really would - almost nothing would make me happier .

To be honest I've not had a bad life - pursuing the 'alternative option' - I've hung out and worked with some very fine people.

I'm trying to stay optimistic that there's some hope of at least slowing the juggernaut if not stopping or reversing it.

COP isn't the answer to it all - its unjust as to who gets to be there, and to have a voice - there are even calls to halt it because of it being so unrepresentative .

But in terms of a global climate change 'event' its what we've got atm, and some good might yet come of it.

Top Bottom