COP 26 Glasgow, anyone else attending??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
It looks nice,

But also a lot of solid fresh cut timber.

Albeit no nails👍🏼

I know that timber then holds onto its embodied carbon for ever , unless it burns down .
But what, apart from no nails sets it apart from any other superinsulated eco timber construction ??
IIRC it's all locally sourced timber which, on it's own, has no structural use because it's intrinsically weak. Basically, it's firewood. BUT, when you use it in laminated sheets, it's as strong as steel and when you use wooden nails to join the layers, it gives the panels the same fire protection qualities as solid wood. (Remember, when cathedrals burn down, they often reclaim the oak beams when the steel ones are useless). Using the wooden nails cuts CO2 for that part of it by 75%

Joey Shabadoo

And it looks nice.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
IIRC it's all locally sourced timber which, on it's own, has no structural use because it's intrinsically weak. Basically, it's firewood. BUT, when you use it in laminated sheets, it's as strong as steel and when you use wooden nails to join the layers, it gives the panels the same fire protection qualities as solid wood. (Remember, when cathedrals burn down, they often reclaim the oak beams when the steel ones are useless). Using the wooden nails cuts CO2 for that part of it by 75%
And it looks nice.

Aha yes I get it..:okay:

What sticks the laminates together??

It does look nice right enough.

Have you seen those reconstituted / ground up pallets, that are being made into wooden type Lego , for building?

You blow in insulation after construction..

Can't remember what it's called , but it looks like a quick build.

oldwheels

Legendary Member

Have you seen those reconstituted / ground up pallets, that are being made into wooden type Lego , for building?

About 10 years ago at least I was up at my grandparents old croft near Lairg in Sutherland and at nearby Achnairn somebody was building a house with what looked giant lego bricks. In the short time I was there it seemed to go up quite quickly but I have not been back in that area since.
The technique is not new but probably more refined now.

Joey Shabadoo

There's a few "lego" type methods. I don't like them because they don't use nails :laugh: The laminates can be glued together in a vacuum to make Cross Laminated Timber (CLT) or nailed together to make Nail Laminated Timber (NLT). Where you want load bearing members and beams, you use Glulam - very similar but the load is directed rather than spread. That's the big wooden beams you see in concert halls and public swimming pools.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
There's a few "lego" type methods. I don't like them because they don't use nails :laugh: The laminates can be glued together in a vacuum to make Cross Laminated Timber (CLT) or nailed together to make Nail Laminated Timber (NLT). Where you want load bearing members and beams, you use Glulam - very similar but the load is directed rather than spread. That's the big wooden beams you see in concert halls and public swimming pools.

Oh you're a quixotic one Joey..

Are you pro, or anti nails.??

We need a firm position on this one..

Or does it depend on the jointing method??

I think I will join ^_^

Maybe see you there Pat :hello:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
About 10 years ago at least I was up at my grandparents old croft near Lairg in Sutherland and at nearby Achnairn somebody was building a house with what looked giant lego bricks. In the short time I was there it seemed to go up quite quickly but I have not been back in that area since.
The technique is not new but probably more refined now.

There's a large polystyrene type building block, like that, which has been around for a while..

You pour in concrete to the front facing (?) void after construction , which makes it solid.

The reconstituted pallet, wood type are rather more new, as I understand it..

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I sell nails. Iron nails are 0.2p each. Wooden nails are 12p each. I like wooden nails ^_^

I used to live in a cob (trad Devon packed mud and straw) cottage.

You had to drive a wooden wedge into the wall before you could screw in for shelves or anything.

Rawlplugs would just pull out, straight away :sad:

Your wooden nails - if hefty enough would probs be good for that.

And only 12p !!
Bargain :smile:

Joey Shabadoo

I used to live in a cob (trad Devon packed mud and straw) cottage.

You had to drive a wooden wedge into the wall before you could screw in for shelves or anything.

Rawlplugs would just pull out, straight away :sad:

Your wooden nails - if hefty enough would probs be good for that.

And only 12p !!
Bargain :smile:
Wouldn't work. The wooden nails are impregnated with lignin. When you fire them into wood, the heat generated by friction momentarily melts the lignin before it quickly sets again. Basically it welds itself into the wood and can't be pulled out again.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Wouldn't work. The wooden nails are impregnated with lignin. When you fire them into wood, the heat generated by friction momentarily melts the lignin before it quickly sets again. Basically it welds itself into the wood and can't be pulled out again.

Impregnated with lignin??

Wood is composed of lignin..

Or it's a major constituent..

I hope no one's been selling you 'bottled lignin' with which to impregnate your nails..:laugh:

Oh no hang on, a minute.

Whatever you're paying for 'proprietry lignin'

I can do it half the price..

Sneaks off to 'magic' water butt

Top Bottom