COP 26 Glasgow, anyone else attending??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We've done the Greta topic in great detail quite recently:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/greta-thunberg-saviour-of-the-planet-or-what.252288/

Within 10 posts (at most) all the predictable opinions have been voiced. It makes a good primer on the CycleChat spectrum of views 👍

I think that has to be put into the context of how many people on CycleChat bother with that forum, or that topic.

I suspect the thread on statistics could be helpful. :okay:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Fans of the 1997 version of Mr Magoo (there aren't that many) will remember him chasing after a jewel thief in his eggplant-mobile too.

:becool:🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆🍆:becool:

I must have missed that .

Didn't have a TV when the kids were wee.

Brandane

Legendary Member
OK that's pretty normal response / reaction oft encountered over the years.

So i'd better nip over to the zwift (?is it?)
thread , and let them know how I'm wholly uninterested in all that, right, because they'll want to know, I expect ??

Thats how this 'friendly' part of the forum works yes??
Mildly interested from the POV that it is happening in the city near where I live, which means we are going to be affected by our Police being poached to look after you lot. The politics of it all however, I couldn't care less. Climate change is here, deal with it. Mother nature cares even less than I do.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Mildly interested from the POV that it is happening in the city near where I live, which means we are going to be affected by our Police being poached to look after you lot. The politics of it all however, I couldn't care less. Climate change is here, deal with it. Mother nature cares even less than I do.

Don't worry I can look after myself just fine.

I've never felt in the slightest bit threatened by a climate activist, I don't think I'll be calling upon the services of the local constabulary.

The 'dealing with' climate change is the supposed point of the exercise - what many of us have been campaigning, and working on for decades.

Although it's become even marginally 'mainstream' wayy too late.

We could, and should have been 'dealing' with it all decades ago.

If by 'Mother nature*' you mean eco systems, and biodiversity , and species survival, I think you'll find 'she' cares a whole lot more than you think ..

* Personally I find that phrase a bit anthropomorphic, or twee even but each to their own..:okay:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Who is intent on derailing it? I think the OP will be a peaceful contributor - unless I've misread her posts. :unsure:

I will be a wholly peaceful contributor..

Even a little too compliant and on the 'inside' for some tastes.

Including my own, now and then.
(I'll probs even end up with a lanyard of some sort :rolleyes:)

These conflicts as to what and where and to whom you give your energies to, are common enough..

There are plenty of climate concerned folks who might with good reason put two fingers up at COP as a rich countries talking shop which delays, dissembles, and distracts from real action being taken.

I can sympathise with that view.

However as a long time practitioner of, and advocate for, what is often now called regenerative agriculture, or agroecology.

Which can if done well, actually sequester carbon, while feeding people well.

I feel I could be useful.

I have been in the past, in similar circs, when trying to persuade the 'powers that be'.

Being the age and type of person I am, I can be a useful representative, in my field.

I actually do the thing we're trying to get more of done .

And even in what has been a relatively hostile climate - have made a reasonable success of it.

So am a useful example of methodologies, and systems that actually work, in practice , and that we could have a lot more of , if we removed some of the barriers.

Success stories, and even solutions, are what people want to hear more of.

We all need a bit of hope right now.

I have also been involved in far more 'action' type activism, in the past.

.Also perfectly peacefully, but I don't think I'd be doing so much of that this time..

We'll see :smile:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
If anyone succeeds in curbing climate change, the emissions they produce in the process will pale at the side of those they've prevented.

I think curbing is the right word.

Still - every tenth of a degree we can mitigate against, helps a lot.

Plus there is the issue of 'climate justice' and building climate change 'resilience'

Ok must get back to sowing seeds

Literal 🌱🌱🌱🌱🌱🌱

Not metaphorical ones :angel:

i'll be commuting around the whole zone & attempting to avoid the whole shennigans & riotious hippies for the period. Us Weegies did not ask nor want this whole clusterf**k. 'Security zones' will be totally messing up the main bike routes via the city centre, with absolutely no allowance made for peds/cyclist, although it has resulted in most of the city centre potholes to be infilled on a temporary basis:okay:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
i'll be commuting around the whole zone & attempting to avoid the whole shennigans & riotious hippies for the period. Us Weegies did not ask nor want this whole clusterf**k. 'Security zones' will be totally messing up the main bike routes via the city centre, with absolutely no allowance made for peds/cyclist, although it has resulted in most of the city centre potholes to be infilled on a temporary basis:okay:

It's nuts if they're not making it more bike friendly as a result.

I'm pretty p*ssed off about all it too, Tbh.

But for slightly different reasons.

Along the lines of

"I can't believe we still have to protest this stuff"

We should have sorted it all out, a loooong time ago.

Some cynical sorts have even suggested they chose Glasgow , instead of somewhere further south, as the temperatures would make on street protest, less comfortable.

I'm guessing, accomodation, and hospitality providers are quite chuffed though..

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yes, I can confirm that cycle travel will be made more difficult due to the event.
I did work in the SEC (the conference venue) for many years: every time there has been a high security you can say goodbye to access the main cycle route of the city.
Us staff also punctually lost access to the secure bike parking.
During the Commonwealth Games I had my bike impounded by the police while I was on a 12 hour shift.
Security decided, while I was on shift, that bike parking wasn't allowed anymore :cursing:
Thank goodness, this time I will be commuting in the exact opposite direction ^_^
On the by, I can guarantee that the food waste will be huge, it always it at those events.

1. I'm not derailing, I'm voicing my opinion.

2. It's a bit rich talking about derailing, when these activists are intent on derailing a whole conference.
They're not derailing, just "voicing their opinions".

I thought that was one of the purposes of the conference :wacko:

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
If I can find such an item, then definitely.

Although I feel a marrow would-be more robust and accomodating.

Failing that, it's the train - as I detailed above.

But I know - that would have required that you read the thread..:okay:
Good lord above, I couldn't just read the thread. That'd be environmentally unsound.

Still and all, it does seem odd that thousands people are going to solve the climate crisis by driving, flojng, and getting the train to complete tens of thousands of unnecessary. It's about time that not only society, but those international organisations that claim to represent our interests, stop all the bull and just start doing the right thing.

This isn't even fiddling while Rome burns. Its driving all the available fire engines to a meeting to talk about fiddling while Rome burns. The actual fiddling will come later when its too late to extinguish the conflagration.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes, I can confirm that cycle travel will be made more difficult due to the event.
I did work in the SEC (the conference venue) for many years: every time there has been a high security you can say goodbye to access the main cycle route of the city.
Us staff also punctually lost access to the secure bike parking.
During the Commonwealth Games I had my bike impounded by the police while I was on a 12 hour shift.
Security decided, while I was on shift, that bike parking wasn't allowed anymore :cursing:
Thank goodness, this time I will be commuting in the exact opposite direction ^_^
On the by, I can guarantee that the food waste will be huge, it always it at those events.
That's so topsy turvy..

The bike accessibilty I mean

Re the food waste though, I'm suspecting that there will be a fair number of 'skip divers' in attendance.

Let's hope the fregans, get a clear run at the pickings..

Top Bottom