COP 26 Glasgow, anyone else attending??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
For clarity, neither am I; it's fairly obvious that the climate is changing. I remain to be convinced about the reasons for it though. And I can't believe some of the hypocritical actions of the supposedly green protesters. They will turn up in Glasgow in their hordes, most no doubt having arrived by motorised transport.

Well some might come by car

Others not .

The point lost on many, seems to be that 'green protestors' are advocating for the greenest option to be the most convenient , and affordable option.

Currently it's not .

That's the fault of the transport system as it's set up

Not the fault of the individuals.

Anyhow, about that noisyiing up stuff??

Keep it light mind..

I think I'll fly to Australia then - Emirates have scheduled flights to Dubai from Glasgow, then connections to Sydney. The plane is flying anyway, so......

and it should be free, as it's going anyway. :okay:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I think I'll fly to Australia then - Emirates have scheduled flights to Dubai from Glasgow, then connections to Sydney. The plane is flying anyway, so......

Which is totally not the same thing, and you know it :okay:

But anyhow, I'm not here to tell you what to do, you'll please yourself, and it will be on your conscience.

The noisyiing please ??

Brandane

Legendary Member
Anyhow, about that noisyiing up stuff??

Keep it light mind..
Oh I will, being a person who had enough confrontation in the past (on a professional basis) to last a life time, I try my best to avoid it these days. I wouldn't waste my time noising up anybody - that was supposed to be "light hearted banter". Please remember to bring your sense of humour to Glasgow; I've got a feeling you'll be needing it! :smile:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
This correlation between CO2 emissions and climate change - if it's REALLY so bad

Oh I will, being a person who had enough confrontation in the past (on a professional basis) to last a life time, I try my best to avoid it these days. I wouldn't waste my time noising up anybody - that was supposed to be "light hearted banter". Please remember to bring your sense of humour to Glasgow; I've got a feeling you'll be needing it! :smile:

Ok that's fine.

Apparently I've got quite a good sense of humour, it's often cited as one of my more positive traits.

It's a bit hard to 'get' the joke though if you don't know what some of the words used in the joke mean ...

Otherwise it's all bit cliquey right ??

Thanks for the intel anyhow :okay:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm sure you and your fellow "activists" will have better sources than a poster on a cycling forum. If you don't, then it really will be a wasted journey :laugh:.

Edited for typo...

I'm sure we will.

But it's all interesting stuff anyhow.

The 'journey' will be as much about advocacy, civil society engagement, information dissemination, and networking

Activism as you might consider it eg active protesting is only a very small part of it :smile:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I don't understand why they don't charter a cruise ship (plenty doing nothing just now anyway) and take the whole conference offshore somewhere inaccessible to anyone else.
Security problem solved. No activists wasting fossil fuels trying to make a point. No wasted Police resources. No disruption to local residents. Just Greta on her solar powered boat.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I do hope you will be travelling the length of England, and a third of the length of Scotland - and back again, in an environmentally friendly way?
So no driving, no bus/train, no motor powered ship, and definitely no flying. It's a long bike ride, especially in November.

I don't understand why they don't charter a cruise ship (plenty doing nothing just now anyway) and take the whole conference offshore somewhere inaccessible to anyone else.
Security problem solved. No activists wasting fossil fuels trying to make a point. No wasted Police resources. No disruption to local residents. Just Greta on her solar powered boat.

Money, and the opportunity for business deals with the lower public profile attendees in between presentations. :okay:

In that respect, the 'informed' activists serve as useful idiots.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

I think perhaps you misunderstand the whole process.

There is a space provided at The COP for civil society groups, and others, to go and represent their cause, or advocate for climate solutions.

It's not just about suits in one room, 'noisy' protestors on the streets.

Although I fully support the right to peaceful protest.

Feel free to research, how it all works in practice just a little bit more .

Tbh a lot of 'the work' is already done in advance
This is just the showcase, in many ways, for good or ill

See my dilemma above as to whether or not I should go at all .

So any slightly more 'friendly' faces from here going.?

I'd have thought there might be some greener urban transport, or cycling advocacy groups.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I think perhaps you misunderstand the whole process.

There is a space provided at The COP for civil society groups, and others, to go and represent their cause, or advocate for climate solutions.

It's not just about suits in one room, 'noisy' protestors on the streets.

Although I fully support the right to peaceful protest.

Feel free to research, how it all works in practice just a little bit more .

Tbh a lot of 'the work' is already done in advance
This is just the showcase, in many ways, for good or ill

See my dilemma above as to whether or not I should go at all .

So any slightly more 'friendly' faces from here going.?

I'd have thought there might be some greener urban transport, or cycling advocacy groups.

I should go, I suppose. I have a friend whom I hope is going, and my wife would love to go, but health problems excludes her from such activities.

Not too sure how to support such an event without actually participating. Can I do a two-line whip, and match up with a climate denier and get them to promise not to post any ill-informed rubbish important skeptical questions for the duration of, and run-up to the event?

Top Bottom