COP 26 Glasgow, anyone else attending??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Good lord above, I couldn't just read the thread. That'd be environmentally unsound.

And highly out of character ..

Tbh we'd be highly, disappointed if we didn't have a bit of knee jerk reactionaryism from our very own Cheshire Correspondent :okay:

Or at the very least a sub par, vegetable based attempt at 'umour :laugh:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
They're not derailing, just "voicing their opinions".

I thought that was one of the purposes of the conference :wacko:

Crivens I'm a bit nervous about taking the train, at all with all this talk of 'derailing' going on

Did I tell* you about the time I got transported to Glasgow, with my bike on the train, against my will??

I was supposed to be alighting in Carlisle :laugh:

*...oh , I did :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to be there, in a back up role for my ex colleagues, noising up those leftie protester types :okay:.

Why is this not in NACA; it's not closed yet? And existing threads will be open after the cut-off date on Sunday!

I think there'll be a few topics trying to sneak their way out of the NACA's yard before the door's bolted, in order to see how far the rules can be bent. :okay:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Interesting. Tell us more.
It's all to do with CLT and more specifically, NLT - Nail Laminated Timber.
1631088171698.png

That's a ceiling panel made with wooden nails - no steel in it at all (ignore the nailed packing pieces at the side). Loads of benefits, one being that you can cut it and router holes for lights etc without damaging blades on steel nails.

This is one for Fettes College -
1631088376712.png

It's a study room for up to 4 students. Superbly insulated for heat and sound. Not a single iron nail (though there are a few steel screws).

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
COP is such an important event that all of us should be look forward to it. In 2015, it delivered a landmark agreement in Paris and appropriately called the "Paris Agreement".

Very appreciative of various NGOs that effectively represent the Global South and the poorer nations who do not have means to do the necessary research or to fund their voice

What it does not need is unruly mobs who to disrupt the event and cause mayhem and take up taking valuable resources.

Even worse, taking away COP oxygen from the media who then report on Police horses impeded, barriers breeched, property vandalised.

Then 10 years down the road, the Govt gets sued because one of the pony tailed Police informant could not keep his zip up and formed a relationship with a protestor.

Why not turn up in droves to support the event.

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
View attachment 608173
That's a ceiling panel made with wooden nails - no steel in it at all (ignore the nailed packing pieces at the side). Loads of benefits, one being that you can cut it and router holes for lights etc without damaging blades on steel nails.

View attachment 608174

It's a study room for up to 4 students. Superbly insulated for heat and sound. Not a single iron nail (though there are a few steel screws).
More on that -

View: https://youtu.be/EDIO1PGLB8E

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm loosely involved in a project getting exhibited there showing more sustainable construction methods.

Ah yet another one -

Aiding and abetting the great unwashed / unemployed rabble / rent a mob / uninformed guardianistas / brainwashed cult of Greta.

Might have a look at all that , for when we finally get round to building a house..

Only if you are sleeping in a skip.

Unlikely this time.

COP is such an important event that all of us should be look forward to it. In 2015, it delivered a landmark agreement in Paris and appropriately called the "Paris Agreement".

Very appreciatively of various NGOs that effectively represent the Global South and the poorer nations who do not have means to do the necessary research or to fund their voice

What it does not need is unruly mobs who to disrupt the event and cause mayhem and take up taking valuable resources.

Even worse, taking away COP oxygen from the media who then report on Police horses impeded, barriers breeched, property vandalised.

Then 10 years down the road, the Govt gets sued because one of the pony tailed Police informant could not keep his zip up and formed a relationship with a protestor.

Why not turn up in droves to support the event.

Except it's not that simple is it.?

Many of those high up.suits, government, and corporate representatives attending the event are the same brokers of power , and of the same exploit, extract, and capitalise mindset which caused so much of this problem in the first place .

Never mind a bit of damage to property - which I'm not condoning mark you - what about our common property of clean soil, air, water biodiverse ecosystems, and a stable climate.?

Who's been wrecking that??

Big oil , in collusion with various governments, and other industries , kept us on this track for so long in the first place.

Why should they be trusted to do the right thing now.??

At the very least they need holding to proper account

In my view these exploitative companies and their colludes should be up in court ,on charges if eco-cide

You belittle the very real and lasting harm caused to a woman who was hoodwinked into forming an intimate relationship with an undercover cop ( not an informant)

It could have been me, I was a more involved in direct actions then.

In truth there will be very few unruly mobs - they will be engaged in NVDA - the right to peaceful protest still exists in our democracy - j

(Unless Brandane, is doing some of his noisyiing up - of course.

Those 'other' groups are there precisely to speak up for the voiceless, those in the global south, the already disadvantaged, the indigenous tribespeople, and ecosystems and species which currently have no voice, which are already suffering the effects of climate change .

(I've spoken at such events on behalf of a Ghanaian farmer , already suffering under climate extremes, she couldnt be there to speak for herself)

I myself have had cropping difficulties due to more extreme weather events.

Demonstrators are there to speak for those who currently have little value in our current system.

If the media want to make up stories, or sensationalise things, rather than report on actually what is actually going on, then that's on them.

Or else it's on their gullible readership, who buy their 'news'.

Except it's not that simple is it.?

Many of those high up.suits, government, and corporate representatives attending the event are the same brokers of power , and of the same exploit, extract, and capitalise mindset which caused so much of this problem in the first place .

Never mind a bit of damage to property - which I'm not condoning mark you - what about our common property of clean soil, air, water biodiverse ecosystems, and a stable climate.?

Who's been wrecking that??

Big oil , in collusion with various governments, and other industries , kept us on this track for so long in the first place.

Why should they be trusted to do the right thing now.??

At the very least they need holding to proper account

In my view these exploitative companies and their colludes should be up in court ,on charges if eco-cide

You belittle the very real and lasting harm caused to a woman who was hoodwinked into forming an intimate relationship with an undercover cop ( not an informant)

It could have been me, I was a more involved in direct actions then.

In truth there will be very few unruly mobs - they will be engaged in NVDA - the right to peaceful protest still exists in our democracy - j

(Unless Brandane, is doing some of his noisyiing up - of course.

Those 'other' groups are there precisely to speak up for the voiceless, those in the global south, the already disadvantaged, the indigenous tribespeople, and ecosystems and species which currently have no voice, which are already suffering the effects of climate change .

(I've spoken at such events on behalf of a Ghanaian farmer , already suffering under climate extremes, she couldnt be there to speak for herself)

I myself have had cropping difficulties due to more extreme weather events.

Demonstrators are there to speak for those who currently have little value in our current system.

If the media want to make up stories, or sensationalise things, rather than report on actually what is actually going on, then that's on them.

Or else it's on their gullible readership, who buy their 'news'.
COP is a gathering of people for climate change and those who are in a position to make it happen. They did not gather there to make it worse. Yes there is reluctance to move faster and certain expectation are not going to be met. But they are not there to dismantle progress. Its essentially a science and social agenda for the greater good.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
View attachment 608173

View attachment 608174

It looks nice,

But also a lot of solid fresh cut timber.

Albeit no nails👍🏼

I know that timber then holds onto its embodied carbon for ever , unless it burns down .
But what, apart from no nails sets it apart from any other superinsulated eco timber construction ??

COP is a gathering of people for climate change and those who are in a position to make it happen. They did not gather there to make it worse. Yes there is reluctance to move faster and certain expectation are not going to be met. But they are not there to dismantle progress. Its essentially a science and social agenda for the greater good.

Well that's our hope that this will happen.

But there have been a lot of COP meetings and underwhelming actions taken as a result .

Massive dragging of feet.

Promises broken.

Protest , and NVDA has its legitimate part in shifting things along faster.

I doubt our County Council would have declared a climate emergency if it were not for the combined actions of XR and Fridays for Future.

Fracking has been stopped , in the UK also in part due to protest, and people taking action.

Most change gets driven along by citizens concerned enough to snap at the heels of the powers that be.

Top Bottom