COP 26 Glasgow, anyone else attending??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I wonder if Greta will be going to try and educate Sturgeon.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/greta-thunberg-scotland-not-world-24873600

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm hoping to be there, in a back up role for my ex colleagues, noising up those leftie protester types.

Why is this not in NACA; it's not closed yet?
I'm engaging in friendly social chat with my fellow forumites.

Do you have any light hearted banter to contribute ?

What does 'noisiing 'up mean??

Asking for a friend ?

Do you mean you're going there specifically to make trouble as an ex copper ??

Interesting

You don't think we should try to do anything about climate change then?

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Sounds like a nice ride - but pack warm, Glasgow will be nippy in (early) November 👍

[there is a massive thread in Another Place about a Yank flying to London, to then cycle to Glasgow]

Thanks 😊

But don't worry the sunshine follows me pretty much wherever I go..☀️

- Must be the warmth of my personality :smile:

All else failing, my son should have found himself a flat by then, and I can doss down with him :okay:

That Yank should be rowing or pedalloing across the Atlantic .

I only discovered the other day that 'water bikes' are a thing ..

Brandane

Legendary Member
You don't think we should try to do anything about climate change then?
I do hope you will be travelling the length of England, and a third of the length of Scotland - and back again, in an environmentally friendly way?
So no driving, no bus/train, no motor powered ship, and definitely no flying. It's a long bike ride, especially in November.

I do hope you will be travelling the length of England, and a third of the length of Scotland - and back again, in an environmentally friendly way?
So no driving, no bus/train, no motor powered ship, and definitely no flying. It's a long bike ride, especially in November.

Could always travel in an electric vehicle* now they've put a few the coal fired stations back on line to make up the deficit. :okay:

*as long as the environmental impacts of production etc are ignored.

For clarity, I'm not a climate denier, I'm just not convinced that the methods being pushed by XR etc are the optimal ones over all, and the thread on statistics points to some of the flaws in the noisier thinking.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

I'll be going by train as per, as it's a scheduled train - so whether I'm on it or not makes little difference.

(I don't fly haven't since the early nineties)

And I'm only about ten and a half stone so the extra load shouldn't contribute too much

I've weighed it up and decided that on balance, my going and advocating for regenerative farming methods, having more notice taken of the plight of agriculturalists in the global south ( who don't get to be there, or have a voice) and promoting land justice off sets the carbon load..

I know, I know, we all like to justify our actions in that sort of light don't we .??

Who knows, really??

I've thought long and hard about it, about whether going to it, in some way 'validates' the whole event, as I don't really consider the whole shebang to be in the slightest bit equitable , but we've not got time to fanny about, setting up a better one..

But anyways - no need to upset ourselves

- Back to the light hearted stuff...:okay:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I believe Greta will be in attendance - so maybe he'll be infected by her enthusiasm and will yacht back to the States? 👍

Or claim asylum in Scotland shire.??

It's certainly ,on my list of possibilities.

Btw, does everyone here think that Greta was the first and only climate activist??

Where have you all been??

Brandane

Legendary Member
For clarity, I'm not a climate denier,
For clarity, neither am I; it's fairly obvious that the climate is changing. I remain to be convinced about the reasons for it though. And I can't believe some of the hypocritical actions of the supposedly green protesters. They will turn up in Glasgow in their hordes, most no doubt having arrived by motorised transport.

For clarity, neither am I; it's fairly obvious that the climate is changing. I remain to be convinced about the reasons for it though. And I can't believe some of the hypocritical actions of the supposedly green protesters. They will turn up in Glasgow in their hordes, most no doubt having arrived by motorised transport.

I'm somewhere in between. The agenda has been pushed the wrong way, for the wrong reasons, and using some very questionable information at times. There is no doubt at all that the climate will continue to change, as it has always done, but we are certainly not helping.

That said, there is a big need to use finite resources sustainably, be that digging them up, or pumping them in to the sea or sky, but unfortunately, there are too many pushing an agenda for other reasons, which has clouded rather than supported that aim.

Sadly, the current trajectory risks chucking the baby out with the bathwater, and the biggest losers will be the emerging nations and others that are vulnerable.

Top Bottom